"Jebel Awliya Dam" Jabal al Awliya' by uglyscot
Jabal al Awliya' Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 18 photos
Because of the Dam,, which was built 1933-37 , this area has long been a military area, and photography of the dam is forbidden. It is also the site of one of the Duffaa Shaabi training camps. So be particularyly careful not to take photos of males in uniform.
However there are places along the river bank where you can picnic , though bathing and paddling is not recommended as the White Nile is host to the bilharzia carrying snails.
It is interesting to see the wooden fishing boats, and even to buy fish to take home. The Nile carp is very tasty and can be purchased here much cheaper than in a shop in town.
When the dam was completed in 1937, it was the largest dam in the world, according to Wikipedia. In 2003 it became converted to produce Hydro -Electric power, hence the need for military presence to protect it.
Before the troubles in the south, ships would sail southwards. There is still the dock to be seen with bollards. But, the water in the dock is badly polluted with plastic bottles and polythene bags.
The jebel is small by any standards, and photography is limited by the military presence.
This photo was taken through a car window.
It looks unimpressive but some of the rocks from the area are attractive in colour- purple and white.
- Pros:a nice day out
- Cons:danger of catching bilharzia , and military presence.
It is quite common to see families having a picnic by the Nile. As mentioned elsewhere it is not advisable to go into... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Jabal al Awliya' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jebel Al Awliya"
- "Jebel Awliya"
- "Dam! Is that it?"
- "Jebel Awliya Dam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jabal al Awliya'
- Transportation in Jabal al Awliya'
- Shopping in Jabal al Awliya'
- Warnings and Dangers in Jabal al Awliya'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jabal al Awliya'
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Jabal al Awliya'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jabal al Awliya'
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 69 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues