"Jebel Moya" Jabal Mayyah by uglyscot
Jabal Mayyah Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 6 photos
On the road between Sennar and Kosti is the rocky outcrop of Jebel Moya. The Wellcome expedition excavated this site between 1909 and 1914. Three thousand tombs were uncovered and settlement debris, although it probably had a seasonal population, nomads until 500BC., from 500 to 100BC the population was probably permanant.
The bus unloaded a group of foreigners and a few locals. Most were in trousers and wearing sunglasses and baseball hats. One woman was even wearing high heels; the rest were wearing trainers or flat shoes. Most were carrying flasks of water and bags of food.
The bus parked at the foot of a boulder strewn hill. Everyone began to clamber up over the granite rocks, with disintegrating feldspar allowing handholds until they reached a vast building built of boulders. It had underground rooms, window holes, and a stairway on the outside. There were beams and a metal ceiling, under which bats and birds flitted. The walls had graffiti- a hawk, names.
Outside was a platform and boulder-marked graves. To the left a bee-hive shaped construction- a bakery, an oven, built of boulders. To the right, a dhurra-shaped grain store.
The terrain was scattered with potsherds, all quite small, some with a pattern of dots, lozenge lines; most red but some black. This was debris left behind by the earlier archaeologists.
Children from the village below were following, asking for bakhsheesh, wanting to try on sunglasses, offering stones. They were a nuisance, begging “Give us money, water, anything. We are poor Sudanese.”
At departure, they crowded round the bus. One woman lost her sunglasses.
The children were so varied- some pitch-black, others light brown; hair curly, crinkled, or smooth and straight. They gathered like flies, still begging.
- Cons:not very much to see
uglyscot's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Jabal Mayyah
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Jabal Mayyah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jabal Mayyah
Photos in Jabal MayyahSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues