"Karima" Kuraymah by uglyscot

Kuraymah Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 42 photos

I can't say much about Karima although we were in the town a couple of times. I know it used to be an important railway station when trains went regularly between Khartoum and Halfa. It lies on the opposite side of the Nile from Merowe and used to be connected to it by ferry. Now there is brand new bridge.
It is just like any other rural town in the Sudan with market, mosque , and plantations nearby because it is in the north.

When we were at El Kuru we were advised to go across a gravel plain until we came to the Petrified Forest. I had asked my husband before to take me to the one outside Omdurman, but he never did. So her e got the chance to see the trees turned to stone lying as they fell, some still recognizable as tall, others just broken sections .
We don't know if they are conifers like those near Omdurman and whether the roundish black objects found in twos and threes or single are seeds or fruits. In any case, they must be several million years old.

• Last visit to Kuraymah: Mar 2008
  • Intro Written Mar 3, 2008

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Great you saw the petrified forest in this area ! I did at the Greek island Lesvos.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I wouldn't believe it if you didn't show us the pictures. Do you know why the trees became petrified? Are there any volcanoes nearby?

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Kuraymah

Have you been to Kuraymah?

Latest Activity in Kuraymah