"Marawi old and new" Marawi by uglyscot
Marawi Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 23 photos
After putting my travel and tips onto my pages, I discovered there IS a page for Merowe as it is spelled in Sudan. Now I can't find where I did put them, so here we go again.
We travelled to Merowe by car which took us 4 hours including stops on the way. We used the new Bayuda Desert road. Our plan was to visit the archaeological sites of Barkal, Nuri and El Kuru, and see the new Merowe Dam which is being constructed.
Merowe is between the 5th and 6th cataracts , on the opposite side of the river Nile from Karima [VT Kuraymah], and was formerly linked by Ferry. One of the benefits of the new Merowe Dam is the network of tarmac roads, the best in all the Sudan's provinces. And the new Merowe-Karima bridge
Agriculture has always been the main occupation in the area- growing wheat, citrus fruits and dates, as well as peanuts/groundnuts.
The Merowe Dam will affect the area greatly, but already steps have been taken to solve potential problems. Having learned from the upheaval of the local population after the building of the Aswan High Dam, this time the inhabitants were allowed to choose where they would like to move to. It is a big move to make, leaving the land one's ancestors have lived in, been buried in for thousands of years. But this time round communities have made their choice of location.
The Chinese company building the dam have made special embankment protection to prevent erosion of the river banks once the dam is operating.
Because the area has a number of archaeological sites [ see tips and Barkal, El Kuru and Nuri pages] and development will probably enable more tourists to visit the area, an International airport is being constructed, so that it will no longer be necessary to fly to Khartoum. It will also be an alternative airport when weather conditions prevent flights landing at Khartoum.
- Pros:good road network and the Merowe Dam
- Cons:a long way to go.
- In a nutshell:a pleasant quiet area with lots to see within a reasonable distance
One of the first things to show you are approaching Merowe is the line of green on the horizon after travelling through... more travel advice
We had been told we would be put up at the VIP guest house, but somehow arrangements fell through. Half our group found... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Marawi Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Marawi
- 4 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Marawi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marawi
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues