"Nuri" Nuri by uglyscot

Nuri Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 13 photos

The site at Nuri is visible from the road. Once there, it is difficult to get close to some of the pyramids as the sand dunes are steep. We were taken by a guide behind the pyramids where there is a hollow surrounded by stones from whence the mummy was taken.
At Nuri there were once about 80 pyramids, but only 20 are now standing.The tombs themselves were under ground and then topped with pyramidal structures. 52 queens and princes, and 21 kings were buried here, including Taharqa, whose pyramid was the oldest and biggest.. The pyramids, now very much broken down, seem to have been built on a pink sandstone base, now covered by sand.
In recent years a mummy was stolen from the site, but the thief was apprehended, by the security.

While the men of our party stopped to do the Friday prayers in a green-coloured mosque, I sat in the car , but was soon approached by a little boy begging. I didn't have any money as I had forgotten to bring my purse, but he then indicated that he wanted me to take a picture of him. That he thought would bring in the money,so I gave him two sausages left over from our breakfast picnic. Immediately he was surrounded by other boys- where they came from I can't imagine as there had been nobody else in sight. Being a true Sudanese , he immediately divided the two sausages amongst them all. That made me feel so guilty, but I truly had nothing to offer them.

Nuri, like most towns and villages in the North, depends very much on agriculture and date plantations. The hard dry dates are of great importance to a family for home consumption and for its economy. The dates are harvested in August , which is a special time. Each family will have some special trees which produce sweet soft dates called 'adgwa' which are kept for the family and friends. The hard dates are eaten, or made into a kind of pudding called 'medidat belah', which is very nice.

• Pros:The pyramids
  • Last visit to Nuri: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2012

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Another very interesting page! Sad that the pyramids seem to be "fading" away. Good pictures too! Also enjoyed the information about dates--love the soft, chewy ones we get at Christmas time.

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 1:19 AM

I admire your enthusiasm, even when the sites are poorly maintained. You should have just ignored the little boy.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Incredible, the huge amount of pyramids in Sudan ! Thanks Shane to take us with you on this virtual trip !

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Fascinating page on exotic places. Who could have thought of stealing a mummy? A collector? Surely a museum wouldn't buy it from illegal sources?

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Nuri