"Nuri" Nuri by uglyscot
Nuri Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 13 photos
The site at Nuri is visible from the road. Once there, it is difficult to get close to some of the pyramids as the sand dunes are steep. We were taken by a guide behind the pyramids where there is a hollow surrounded by stones from whence the mummy was taken.
At Nuri there were once about 80 pyramids, but only 20 are now standing.The tombs themselves were under ground and then topped with pyramidal structures. 52 queens and princes, and 21 kings were buried here, including Taharqa, whose pyramid was the oldest and biggest.. The pyramids, now very much broken down, seem to have been built on a pink sandstone base, now covered by sand.
In recent years a mummy was stolen from the site, but the thief was apprehended, by the security.
While the men of our party stopped to do the Friday prayers in a green-coloured mosque, I sat in the car , but was soon approached by a little boy begging. I didn't have any money as I had forgotten to bring my purse, but he then indicated that he wanted me to take a picture of him. That he thought would bring in the money,so I gave him two sausages left over from our breakfast picnic. Immediately he was surrounded by other boys- where they came from I can't imagine as there had been nobody else in sight. Being a true Sudanese , he immediately divided the two sausages amongst them all. That made me feel so guilty, but I truly had nothing to offer them.
Nuri, like most towns and villages in the North, depends very much on agriculture and date plantations. The hard dry dates are of great importance to a family for home consumption and for its economy. The dates are harvested in August , which is a special time. Each family will have some special trees which produce sweet soft dates called 'adgwa' which are kept for the family and friends. The hard dates are eaten, or made into a kind of pudding called 'medidat belah', which is very nice.
- Pros:The pyramids
Sudan is not the easiest place to travel in. Now the infrastructure in the Northern State has improved because of the... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Nuri Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Nuri
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Nuri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nuri
Photos in NuriSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues