"Shambat" Shambat by uglyscot
Shambat Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
Shambat has always been associated with agriculture, lying as it does on the banks of the Nile, just after the confluence of the Blue Nile and White Nile. It has been linked to Omdurman by a bridge [The Shambat Bridge].
The University of Khartoum has the campuses for Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Forestry, Animal Production, Environment and Soil Science there. The Sudan University also has the Faculty of Agriculture , and Food Science and Technology there.
Apart from the University Farms , Private farms still exist, though more and more land is being taken over.
Driving along parts of Shambat reminded me of parts of rural England, with green hedgerows.
Nowadays , however, Shambat is being incorporated into modern Khartoum North. New residential areas have been assigned and modern villas are shooting up all the time
A drive across the bridge from Omdurman gives you the option of turning in to the urban part of Shambat, or continuing through narrow country roads, less developed housing and a more traditional lifestyle. Pottery, non-wood forest products, fruit and vegetables are on sale beside the road.
And more unusual sights may be seen, like the tableau in the accompanying photograph- a group of boys playing pool/snooker/ billiards [whatever] beside the road. You'd wonder where such a table had come from- a club?an expat? and why is it just kept beside a main road? Such is Sudan.
Here are new houses appearing but the greenery is being maintained by trees growing in gardens.
- In a nutshell:a pleasant run to escape the city
uglyscot's Related Pages
Shambat Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Shambat
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Shambat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shambat
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues