Shendi Things to Do Tips by uglyscot
Shendi Things to Do: 4 reviews and 16 photos
Temple of Hathor
The first monument to see on arrival at Nagaa is the Temple of Hathor [formerly called the Roman kiosk] a small square structure built in the Roman style of the 2nd. Or 3rd. Century AD. It is in a better state of preservation than the other monuments, though the roof is missing.
Besides there are numerous mounds which are the remains of several temples. The Amoun temple has a row of ram-headed sphinxes, which have recently been restored.
Address: on road from khartoum to Shendi
Directions: Nagaa is about 2,4 miles from Wad Ban Nagaa and 35 miles from Shendi.
view of Nagaa
Nagaa is an interesting archaeological site. It has a well preserved Temple of Hathor, and several less well preserved Egyptian temples. The structure of the temples is still visible though much of the stone work has fallen. One building with pylon type entrance is in good condition,with a single chamber behind and the remains of a portico in front. On the southern pylon tower appears King Netek Aman and on the northern Queen Amanteri, who ruled at Meroe from 15 BC to 15 AD. Each is accompanied by a lion,and they are smiting groups of captives. The walls of the chamber are covered with relief's showing various gods and goddesses, but the temple appears to have been principally dedicated to the Lion God Apedemak and is subsequently known as the Lion Temple. There are also the remains of a large temple dedicated to Amun.
Work is still ongoing, and I believe the avenue of rams has been restored to some extent since I was there.
Address: Off the Khartoum - Shendi road to the east
Directions: 2.5 miles from Wad Banaga, and 35 miles from Shendi
The temple is designed in the typical Egyptian style, with 3 distinct sections.
Directions: 2.5 miles from Wad Banaga, 35 miles from Shendi
uglyscot's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Shendi
- 4 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Shendi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shendi
Photos in ShendiSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues