"Shendi and nearby Archaeological sites" Shendi by uglyscot
Shendi Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 38 photos
My trip to Shendi was specifically to visit the Cemetries of Bejrawiya with their pyramids, and then on the return journey to go to Mussawarat as Sufrah and Nagaa. We managed the first two, but as we got lost finding Musawwarat decided to cancel the Nagaa trip.
I have since managed to visit Bejrawiya another couple of times, the last two with the Sudan Archaeological Society, as well as on our own. I just love going to this area which , in spite of the 2-3 hour drive, takes you in to desert scrub with table top mountains or conical peaks.
Shendi itself is a historic town known for its market and the weaving of cotton material. We also found nice baskets there,
Naga is another interesting site in the vicinity of Shendi. To me it is like an open air museum, as it has Roman as well as Egyptian style temples.
The best preserved is the so-called Roman Kiosk [now renamed the Temple of Hathor].
Then there is the Lion Temple and the larger Amun temple which has been restored considerably since I was first there, and the avenue of rams replaced on their plinths.
Up the hill is another Egyptian temple too, though more in ruins..
Well worth a visit.
Only 15 km over bumpy road separates Naga and Musawwarrat. Nagaa had been a town, though onlyb the temples remain. Musawwarrat has
many suggested origins, but the most recent seems to it having been a school. The Great Enclosure sits in a circle of hills, isolating it, apart from a Lion Temple near by. It once had luxuriant gardens, wild animals roamed the area.
- Pros:interesting archaeological sites
- Cons:poor infrastructure for tourists but some attempts are being made.
- In a nutshell:good introduction to the Meroitic civilization
The temple is designed in the typical Egyptian style, with 3 distinct sections. Rams lead to the first hall, and then a... more travel advice
Nagaa is an interesting archaeological site. It has a well preserved Temple of Hathor, and several less well preserved... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Shendi
- 4 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Shendi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shendi
Photos in ShendiSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues