"Suakin - old coral limestone buildings" Suakin Island by uglyscot
Suakin Island Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 54 photos
Suakin was the old port of Sudan on the Red Sea from which pilgrims sailed to Saudi Arabia. The town had large buildings built of coral limestone, now sadly almost completely destroyed by time. A few buildings like the Customs Office still remain,
Some of the buildings were three storeys high before they collapsed.
Nowadays there has been constructed a new Suakin port coping with the ferries from Jiddah in Saudi Arabia.
To get there it is easy to take a minibus from Port Sudan , but the return journey will depend on how quickly a bus takes to fill!
It is an experience squeezing in with a variety of people. We had a young Hadendowa lad in traditional dress including his sword with silver pommel. He seemed rather worried at being squeezed in next to a couple of khawajas, my father and I.
* Hadendowa is the name of one of the Beja tribes of Eastern Sudan. Rudyard Kipling in his writings called them The Fuzzy Wuzzies, because of their long hair.
- Pros:former historic port, with a few ruins
- Cons:in a terrible state of repair
When we were in Suakin we were pestered by children and some men trying to sell us lumps of the coral limestone from... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Suakin Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Suakin - old coral limestone buildings"
- "Suakin and the cats with gin"
- "Suakin...Sudan gate by the Red Sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suakin Island
- Transportation in Suakin Island
- Restaurants in Suakin Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Suakin Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suakin Island
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Suakin Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suakin Island
- Posted in Travel Egypt Forum "Re: Abu Simbel or Cairo for last..."
- Wrote a Review Don't buy lumps of coral, and beware the heat in Suakin Island Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't buy lumps of coral, and beware the heat"
- updated a Suakin Island Travel Page "Suakin - old coral limestone buildings"
- Commented on one of maykal's Suakin Island travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues