Omdurman Favorite Tips by uglyscot Top 5 Page for this destination
Omdurman Favorites: 2 reviews and 8 photos
Favorite thing: Women's education was started when Sheikh Babiker Bedri. open the first girls' school in 1907. There was so much hostility to the idea at first that it was populated by his own family The Bedri family opened a school for girls in Omdurman, and now have a University, Ahfad University for Women. In addition to Medicine and Pharmacy it has colleges of Psychology and Pre-school education; Business Management; Rural Development; Family Science and Nutrition.There are at least 4500 students.
The teaching is in English and the girls get a very good education . They also turn out confident , independent and disciplined young women. Part of their education is to go on field trips to rural areas for a few weeks. There they try to inform the locals on subjects like family planning, contraception, the evils of circumcision, nutrition etc.
The campus is pleasantly designed, and there is a good library. Visiting lecturers give talks, and the girls are encouraged to participate in activities.
Nowadays students from neighbouring countries are starting to attend this university.
More Reviews (22)
- The Mulid: The celebration of the...
- See All sheep or camel?
- when it rains
- Mereikh Stadium
uglyscot's Related Pages
Omdurman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Omdurman - the real capital"
- "the native Capital"
- "Traditional town"
- "Miscellaneous Omdurman"
- "Welcome to Omdurman"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Omdurman
- Transportation in Omdurman
- Nightlife in Omdurman
- Restaurants in Omdurman
- Shopping in Omdurman
- Warnings and Dangers in Omdurman
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nisida Meganisi Hotels
- Marostica Hotels
- Keewatin Hotels
- Rumuola Hotels
- State of Karnataka
Badges & Stats in Omdurman
- 23 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Omdurman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Omdurman
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Kent Station"
- Uploaded a Video to Omdurman
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Mulid: The celebration of the Prophet Mohamed'"
- Wrote a Review The Mulid: The celebration of the Prophet Mohamed' in Omdurman Local Customs
- updated a Omdurman Travelogue "Trip out to the camel market ,Omdurman"
Videos in OmdurmanSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues