Cairo Transportation Tips by uglyscot Top 5 Page for this destination
Cairo Transportation: 254 reviews and 266 photos
We always used to use the Limousine service from the airport because it is cleaner, though more expensive. When we arrived at 2am in January 2011 we were offered the usual mercedes but because a friend was with us and we had quite a lot of luggage , the company suggested a minibus instead. This cost us 120 EG Pounds.
Our return to the airport during the troubles was different, we used our old reliable black taxi driver to transport 3 adults and 2 children and 11 pieces of luggage.
Other alternatives are the white cabs, see previous tip, or the Cairo cabs which are yellow.
There is also the Airport Shuttle Bus. I don't know the price for these.
Phone: 19970 [Shuttle Bus]
new metered white taxi
Cairo has just been given a new taxi system. Instead of the old rackety black and white taxis, there is a new fleet of City cabs, pale yellow in colour or  white with a chequered black and white trim. The new cabs are airconditioned, comfortable and with electronic metres, so no need to bargain over the fare. The basic charge is 3.50 EP, then 1EP per kilometre. The drivers tend be more respectful, rarely smoke or make chit chat, and don't turn on the radio .
Type: Car/Motor Home
traffic in a normally quiet street
The best way to get around Cairo is by taxi. It only costs a few Egyptian pounds for a short journey, and to the airport it should not be more than 40 EP, but agree before hand..
However, there are certain times of the day that should be avoided : between 7.30-9.00 am and 3.00-5.00 pm. However even at 1.30pm there are problems with school children going home .
And pedestrians will find it extremely busy to cross from one side of the street to another, as everyone will be racing to get to work/ get home for a meal, and will not stop for anyone.
Sometimes when you stop a taxi and give your destination, he will tell you that he won't take you, possibly because he wants a longer trip with a larger fare. But it has been known when there is anti-Western feeling running high, that drivers will just ignore an obvious forigner, or even , as happened to one American woman, tell the passenger to get out of the taxi.
More Reviews (77)
- See All good for a stopover
- See All Over the counter medication
- See All very filling
- See All Shihab Street, Mohandaseen
- See All Married or single?
uglyscot's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairo`s yellow pages!"
- "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- "CAIRO... still thinking of..."
- "3 decades living in Cairo and yet exploring more"
- "~ Cairo ~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairo
- Hotels in Cairo
- Transportation in Cairo
- Nightlife in Cairo
- Restaurants in Cairo
- Shopping in Cairo
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 80 Reviews
- 222 Photos
- 35 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
- Posted in Travel Sudan Forum "Re: What is the proper attire for..."
- Commented on one of Homanded's Cairo tips
- Commented on the Felfela Restaurant, Cairo travel guide
- Wrote a Review good for a stopover in Cairo Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Limousine, taxi, minibus"
- updated a Cairo Travel Page "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- Uploaded a Video to Cairo
Photos in CairoSee All Photos (222)
Videos in CairoSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Egyptian Museum- 208 Reviews, 318 Photos
- Gizeh Pyramids- 291 Reviews, 558 Photos
- Khan el Khalili- 82 Reviews, 144 Photos
- Citadel- 131 Reviews, 295 Photos
- Tower- 43 Reviews, 81 Photos
- River Nile- 56 Reviews, 108 Photos
- Coptic Cairo - Hanging Church- 27 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Sakkara : Step Pyramid- 40 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Coptic Cairo- 66 Reviews, 134 Photos
- Christian Cairo- 19 Reviews, 58 Photos
See All Cairo Things to Do