"Aswan" Aswan by uglyscot
Aswan Travel Guide: 638 reviews and 2,143 photos
Aswan is a charming town by the Nile. It has a lot to offer tourists from the unfinished obelisk in the quarry to the High Dam and Philae within a reasonable distance.. It is also only half an hour away from Abu Simbel by air.
The river is full of boats of various kinds, and the rock formations are unusual. A sail in a felucca is well worth it,.
From the northern granite quarry is a view over the town of Aswan. In the quarry men can be seen sitting hitting at the granite like the Ancient Egyptians did. The rocks in the quarry often have marks where the ancient quarriers removed their stones. There are other unfinished objects, but the broken obelisk is the main attraction. Wooden walkways help visitors to walk around the quarry.
The Old Cataract Hotel was opened in 1899. It was a rendez-vous for famous world figures. It was so popular that it was sometimes necessary to erect tents to take all the visitors.
Agatha Christie used the hotel in her mystery novel "Death on the Nile", and the film of the book was also made here.
- Pros:Quiet with pleasant views.
- Cons:A bit far away and unsociable flight times.
- In a nutshell:A place not to miss
A few kilometers from Aswan town is the quarry from which the ancient Egyptians dug the Aswan granite used in their... more travel advice
Enjoyable. The rooms had a wonderful view at $30 extra! But well worth it. Room service a bit slow- up to 2 hours... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Aswan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Aswan"
- "Aswan - beauty by the Nile"
- "Aswan, Egypt"
- "One of the Most Attractive Cities in Egypt"
- "Going with the flow of the Nile"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aswan
- Hotels in Aswan
- Transportation in Aswan
- Nightlife in Aswan
- Restaurants in Aswan
- Shopping in Aswan
- Warnings and Dangers in Aswan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aswan
- 4 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Aswan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aswan
Photos in AswanSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues