"Early Pyramids" Dahshur by uglyscot
Dahshur Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 47 photos
The plateau where the Red Pyramid and Bent Pyramid of Sneferu [Snofru] are situated was until recently out of bounds as it lay in a military area. It is now open to tourists, but as yet few take the opportunity to visit them as they lies some miles south of Saqqarah, definitely off the beaten track.
Originally there were 11 pyramids here, but now only 3 are still standing. the rest having collapsed.
Snofru was the father of Khufu who built the Great Pyramid. These two pyramids are the first attempts to build a true pyramid. The first attempt [ the Bent Pyramid] failed , so the angle had to be adjusted.
The second attempt [The Red Pyramid] was built with a different angle and is the precursor of the Great Pyramid of Khufu.
It is called the Red Pyramid because at certain times it seems to be built of red stone.
The third pyramid is that of Amenemhat III but is just a core with rubble at the foot. It is not possible to visit it close up as is still in the military area.
Visitors pay £2 Egyptian for a vehicle and then the entry fee per person. As I was a resident I was only charged £5 , the same as Egyptians. I don't know what the present rate is for foreign tourists
When we went there were very few tourists visiting the site. There are no facilities , so take water with you.
- Pros:interesting monuments and few tourists
- Cons:off the beaten path
This is one of only 3 of the original 11 pyramids still standing on this necropolis. It is called the Black Pyramid, but... more travel advice
The Bent pyramid was built by Sneferu in about 2600 BC. He also built the Red Pyramid. Both pyramids are about the same... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Dahshur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pyramids of Dahshur"
- "Early Pyramids"
- "Royal Necropolis of Dahshur"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dahshur
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Dahshur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dahshur
Photos in DahshurSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues