"City of the Sun" Heliopolis by uglyscot
Heliopolis Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 36 photos
Heliopolis is a modern suburb of Cairo, on the site of an Ancient Egyptian town.
Today it is a place with wide roads separated by a grassy area with trees and fountains, and a couple of artefacts: an obelisk near the airport, and a statue of Ramses II [though today he is swathed in green mesh, awaiting removal to a museum?].
Apartments in this area are less expensive and more modern than in central Cairo. Shops likewise are more modern and there are a number of shopping malls.
Also in this area is a football stadium, exhibition hall, museum of the 6day war, the airforce base where the funeral of Yasser Arafat was held prior to his burial in Palestine. Hotels are found here as it is close to the airport, and the interesting Indian style building with a chequered past, called the Baron's Palace.
New Egypt is sometimes considered as part of Heliopolis. Like its neighbour it has wide streets, new buildings and shopping malls: Tiba Mall and City Stars. There is also AL Azhar University and a Monument to the Martyrs. The latter is in a pyramid shape, but open at the centre. Outside stand soldiers in red uniform , and a canon which is glossy black with gold.
- Pros:clean, spacious up to date, and near the airport
- Cons:not much character and too far away from the centre of town
We were invited to a wedding at this hotel, but as we arrived early decided to have a drink. ATurkish coffee and an can... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Heliopolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of the Sun"
- "Military and Shopping City"
- "Heliopolis - Masr el Gedida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heliopolis
- Nightlife in Heliopolis
- Restaurants in Heliopolis
- Shopping in Heliopolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heliopolis
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Heliopolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heliopolis
Photos in HeliopolisSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues