"The Giza Plateau" Pyramids of Giza by uglyscot
Pyramids of Giza Travel Guide: 415 reviews and 1,291 photos
As the last remaining of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the pyramids justifiably attract millions of tourists.
The sheer mass of the structures and the accuracy of the measurements and alignments seem impossible when we realise they were using primitive tools and equipment. Possibly because of this cranks and sceptics accept the beliefs of some writers who claim aliens or super human races from Atlantis must have built them.
Give credit where it is due. The Ancient Egyptians were intelligent and hard working. Their beliefs and social structure made them willing to erect these mountains in stone to the glory of their pharoahs whom they accepted as gods.
The human headed sphinx with a lion's body has also attracted the attention of the pyramidiots , as Zahi Hawass calls them. Claims that the sphinx is thousands of years older than the pyramids, and that there are secret halls inside or underneath it, containing Records, abound. But those who have been inside say this is impossible, and the so called proof of it having been built when there was a heavier rainfall than now has been scorned by experts.
Again it is a marvellous structure, so why not just accept it as such.
All the pyramids were forced into and robbed of anything inside in ancient times. Arabs used cannons to try to find the entrance.
Nowadays all three pyramids are open to visitors in turn. Until recently that was the smallest of the three , the Pyramid of Mycerinus or Menkhare. It is not very spectacular, just going down and then up. No paintings or inscriptions. For these the nearest place is Saqqarah
- Pros:fascinating place
- Cons:the touts and camel owners
- In a nutshell:a heritage to be proud of
The lion-bodied statue with the head of a man is an enigma. Nobody really knows when it was built or by whom. Most... more travel advice
It is strictly forbidden to climb the pyramids, though in the past it was permissable. The stones are huge and do not... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Pyramids of Giza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Giza and its Pyramids"
- "My Giza Page"
- "Trip to Ancient History... Delivered."
- "G I Z A"
- "The Pyramids were fabulous, of course!"
- "Pyramids of Gezah"
- "The Giza Pyramids and the Sphinx"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pyramids of Giza
- Hotels in Pyramids of Giza
- Transportation in Pyramids of Giza
- Nightlife in Pyramids of Giza
- Restaurants in Pyramids of Giza
- Shopping in Pyramids of Giza
- Warnings and Dangers in Pyramids of Giza
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pyramids of Giza
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Pyramids of Giza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pyramids of Giza
Photos in Pyramids of GizaSee All Photos (19)
Videos in Pyramids of GizaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 45 reviews, 191 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues