"Memphis, capital of Ancient Egypt" Memphis by uglyscot
Memphis Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 86 photos
Memphis or Mit Riehena was for a long time the capital of Ancient Egypt, and called the White walled city. Nothing remains but a few statues, although the ancient city has probably been built over and been covered by the modern town.
In the museum there are several statues but most impressive is the enormous one of Rameses II, although his leg is badly damaged. Because he had so many wives and innumerable children, modern women treated him as a fertility symbol and used to visit the statue and lie on it in the hope that they would conceive. Now it is securely closed in a custom built building.
In the grounds are other objects, and a nice sphinx, vaguely reminiscent of Hatchepsut, made of calcite.
Unfortunately the picture was taken mid-day using poor quality film.
Memphis was the old capital of Egypt but now any remains must be under the present village. The village is called Mit Rihaina and is a few kilometers from Saqqarah when returning to Cairo.
It's a bit expensive to get in for all their is to see. The main attraction is the colossal statue of Ramses II [damaged] which lies in a specially constructed museum. See The Mighty Pharaoh travelogue.
Outside in the gardens are other statues and a sphinx, and other bits and pieces. Pleasant enough.
- Pros:the colossal statue of Ramses II
- Cons:too little to see for the price of entry
uglyscot's Related Pages
Memphis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Memphis - an ancient capital"
- ""The King" in Memphis"
- "Memphis, capital of Ancient Egypt"
- "Mit Rahina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Memphis
- Transportation in Memphis
- Restaurants in Memphis
- Shopping in Memphis
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Memphis
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Memphis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Memphis
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 45 reviews, 191 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues