"Saqqarah- a splendid site" Top 5 Page for this destination Saqqarah by uglyscot
Saqqarah Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 246 photos
To me, Saqqarah is a magical site. The first time I saw it I was awestruck. Its position on the plateau and its white colour that day, left a lasting impression. When I take people to see the pyramids I always bring them here first, not just because the Step Pyramid was the first man made stone building, but because the whole necropolis has so much- to me it encapsulates the whole of Egyptian history.
The main pyramid here is the Step Pyramid of Zoser which I mention elsewhere. Other more dilapidated ones belong to Teti, Unas and Sekhemket and Pepi I and II. Those of Unas and Teti have passages from the Book of the Dead.
The Pyramid of Teti is easy to visit. It has a downward sloping passage [mind your head!] leading to 2 rooms. One contains a stone sarcophagus, and the blue painted ceiling is decorated with five-pointed stars.
If time does not allow a trip to Luxor, then Saqqarah is the place to visit. There are tombs that can be entered. The largest is that of Mereruka, who married a member of the royal family. It is beside the Pyramid of Teti, and has 32 rooms. The tomb shows all aspects of life from cooking, hunting and fishing, making gold ornaments, playing and wrestling, in addition to all the religious rites that had to be performed for the deceased,
The picture shows Mereruka stepping out of the false door.
Another, smaller and not so noticeable tomb is the mastaba of Ka Gemni, a minor official. [vizier] of the VI th Dynasty. It also has wall paintings, with scenes of everyday activities. There are fine scenes of birds and cattle. Different kinds of birds are easily recognizable.
- Pros:wonderful tombs
- Cons:not all the interesting monuments are open to the public
- In a nutshell:Ancient Egypt in a nutshell
A few shops at Kerdassa sell handwoven goods like cushion covers, rugs and carpets. The area is famous for its carpet... more travel advice
The road passes by different aspects of rural Egyptian life: agriculture, shops, new buildings, animals, and canals. The... more travel advice
Written Jan 11, 2011
Saqqarah - tombs and pyramids
Written Jan 31, 2006
on the road to Saqqarah
uglyscot's Related Pages
Saqqarah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the valley of the dead"
- "Saqqarah- a splendid site"
- "The Oldest Stone Monument in the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saqqarah
- Transportation in Saqqarah
- Shopping in Saqqarah
- Warnings and Dangers in Saqqarah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saqqarah
- 9 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Saqqarah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saqqarah
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues