"a classy part of Cairo" Jazirat az Zamalik by uglyscot
Jazirat az Zamalik Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 43 photos
Zamalek is on an island in the Nile in the centre of Cairo, crossed by the 26th July Bridge. It has long been the haunt of upper-class Egyptians , embassies and ex-pats who enjoy the shady streets and quiet. On the other hand there are some tall tower blocks and McDonalds.
I have visited both areas, and frequented a few cafes and ,of course, the bookshop Diwan.
A large area is taken up by the Gezira Club. This sporting club caters for most sports, including horse riding and swimming. There is a very large pool with some time allotted to women only. Various areas are assigned to cafes , and there are other facilities like shops and a hairdressers. Entry is for members and their guests only.
Along the river are some floating restaurants and fixed boats which offer meals and entertainment.
There is no close access to the river but it is pleasant to stroll along anyway.
- Pros:relatively quiet and shaded streets
There are many small shops in Zamalak selling a variety of objects from antiques to jewellery, clothes and toys as well... more travel advice
After searching for books, the coffeeshop is a nice place to relax and have a coffee and pastry. It is quiet, and... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Jazirat az Zamalik Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Jazirat az Zamalik
- Hotels in Jazirat az Zamalik
- Nightlife in Jazirat az Zamalik
- Restaurants in Jazirat az Zamalik
- Shopping in Jazirat az Zamalik
- Warnings and Dangers in Jazirat az Zamalik
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Jazirat az Zamalik
- 7 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Jazirat az Zamalik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jazirat az Zamalik
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues