"Developing Dubai" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai by uglyscot

Dubai Travel Guide: 2,729 reviews and 8,036 photos

Always newer, always better

Dubai is a hive of activity. Whenever I go there I find new roads or flyovers, new buildings, and more congestion.
It is a great place to stay and shop. There are many shopping centres as well as more traditional markets.
Restaurants abound, and new ones take one 's fancy each time.
It can be very hot and humid and my glasses fog up on arrival, but everywhere is airconditioned, so you soon cease to notice the heat.
Although the native Emirati population wear traditional dress, there are no restrictions, so Europeans wander around wearing skimpy outfits and jeans.

The Creek

The Dubai Creek separates Dubai from Sharjah.
Dubai is more of a commercial centre, so many people commute from Sharjah to work in Dubai.
It is possible to take trips on dhows, and there are even dhows which are restaurants. The traditional dhow still plies a trade with other areas in the Gulf and to India.

Commercial centre

The main streets in the centre of Dubai are busy. The buildings are tall towers with glass fronts, or with myriad windows.
Perhaps not the best feature to have taken from the west!

• Pros:great shopping
  • Cons:hot and humid
  • In a nutshell:the best of both east and west
  • Last visit to Dubai: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 3, 2007

• Parisforless's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Wish you were my friend before i suddenly decided to go to Dubai. I'll be back and maybe we'll meet there. It's a great place with amazing people. You are lucky.
    Svetlana

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM

YOu have captured all the greatqmonuments here for the visitor to see pictures and read the great comments. OUr daughter and husband are on honeymoon there now and surely enjoying those sites you show. Nice job.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Hi Shane, Have dipped into your Dubai tips. Sorry to say Dubai doesnt appeal. All so new and at what cost? Thanks for sharing but, apart from the airport, which is a model of efficiency, I'll not be booking a holiday there. Thanks, Mike

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2010 at 5:13 AM

We will only have 2 days in Dubai but hope to see a few things...I must say I totally dislike the Burj al Arab - WAY to 'over the top' and ostentatious. Nice page, I will return to it

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Shane, an eye-opening page, many thanks! I've only been to the airport (doesn't say much!haha), and the ostentatiousness (sp?) was out of this world.. I can only imagine what Dubai itself is like... and can do so in your page, thanks.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Hi Shane. Now that Ramadhan is over, I was in the mood to look for some new restaurants in Dubai to try... really enjoyed your tips, and hope you're doing well! Jess :-)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2008 at 3:20 AM

Hi Shane, interesting and insightful page and tips with an excellent selection of appealing restaurants! If I ever go I will take your info with me thanks!

• Elodie_Caroline's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Yes, I do love Patty, she's a very sweet lady. I don't let myself get far in to many people's lives, but you and Patty are two people that I am very happy to share my true self with.

• Squinchez's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 12:56 AM

I have been hearing alot about Dubai and great place for shopping thanks for showing the other side of it.

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 5:51 AM

Thanks for all the photos of Dubai. I have yet to go there.

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Dubai