"a trip to the east" Khorfakkan by uglyscot
Khorfakkan Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos
Khor Fakkan is a dependency of Sharjah. The village is located on the shores of the Gulf of Oman. It has a magnificent view of the gulf. It also has the remains of a fort. built by the Portuguese.
Khor Fakkan is a popular tourism spot. People from Abu Dhabi and other Gulf countries come when there are holidays or at weekends. It is surrounded by large mountains and attractive beaches. Its most famous hotel is the Oceanic. It also features coral outcrops suitable for diving and snorkelling. However, Sharjah's ban on alcohol tends to deter foreign tourists.
Khor Fakkan has a long history of human settlement. Excavations by a team from the Sharjah Archaeological Museum have identified 34 graves and a settlement belonging to the early-mid second millennium BC. These are clustered on rock outcrops overlooking the harbour.
One site of interest is the Rifaisa Dam, in the mountains of Khor Fakkan. This is believed to have been built over a village, and when the water is very still, the tops of the old houses are still visible.
We were invited for lunch at the Oceanic Hotel which is on the eastern side of the Gulf. The hotel itself caters for all... more travel advice
Driving away from the Gulf, heading east to Khor Fakkan is a trip to be recommended. You travel through a number of the... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Khorfakkan
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Khorfakkan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khorfakkan
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues