"a so-called beach resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Latakia by uglyscot
Latakia Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 180 photos
I was very disappointed to find that we would be staying in a hotel in town , and that it was on a busy road with a flyover which meant I had to manipulate busy crossings if I wanted to go anywhere. Because my left leg is still suffering from its second break last year, I found myself incarcerated in the hotel until husband finished his work and was able to accompany me.
However my impressions are not negative though the centre of town and shopping area is like most Arab towns. Out in the suburbs the buildings are newer and roads more attractive.
The beach area that I managed to visit was very polluted, but the seascapes were nice. Brought up as I was on the sea in Scotland, the smell of the sea was welcome.
Latakia is an ancient city and there are some archaeological ruins to be seen, like the pillars on a traffic island off Ramadan Street.
About 6 km away is the ancient city of Ugarit where the earliest eamples of cuneiform writing were discovered. [see separate tip/entry]
It was a port from early times and was called Laodocia, and is the main port of Syria today.
Latakia has been attacked or ruled by many different people over the centuries. from Alawites, Romans, Byzantines, Seljuk Turks, the Crusaders, Arabs and more recently the French.
Parts of Latakia are built on steep hills. Some are sosteep that walking is difficult, and parking cars need good breaks. This one is steeper than it looks in the photo and then has a flight of steps to reach the top.
- Cons:difficult roads for pedestrians
Ugarit is an ancient site about 6 km outside Latakia. The site, which is in ruins, covers 27 hectares. The ruins are of... more travel advice
The beach is at the northern end of Latakia. It is made of shell sand and there are rocks where children like to... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Latakia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lattakia, Ugarit and Saladin's Castle"
- "a so-called beach resort"
- "Communist city and starting point for..."
- "Mediteranean See from the hotel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Latakia
- Hotels in Latakia
- Transportation in Latakia
- Nightlife in Latakia
- Restaurants in Latakia
- Shopping in Latakia
- Warnings and Dangers in Latakia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Latakia
- 5 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Latakia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Latakia
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues