"a so-called beach resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Latakia by uglyscot

Latakia Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 180 photos

Latakia

I was very disappointed to find that we would be staying in a hotel in town , and that it was on a busy road with a flyover which meant I had to manipulate busy crossings if I wanted to go anywhere. Because my left leg is still suffering from its second break last year, I found myself incarcerated in the hotel until husband finished his work and was able to accompany me.
However my impressions are not negative though the centre of town and shopping area is like most Arab towns. Out in the suburbs the buildings are newer and roads more attractive.
The beach area that I managed to visit was very polluted, but the seascapes were nice. Brought up as I was on the sea in Scotland, the smell of the sea was welcome.

Latakia is an ancient city and there are some archaeological ruins to be seen, like the pillars on a traffic island off Ramadan Street.
About 6 km away is the ancient city of Ugarit where the earliest eamples of cuneiform writing were discovered. [see separate tip/entry]

It was a port from early times and was called Laodocia, and is the main port of Syria today.

Latakia has been attacked or ruled by many different people over the centuries. from Alawites, Romans, Byzantines, Seljuk Turks, the Crusaders, Arabs and more recently the French.

built on hills

Parts of Latakia are built on steep hills. Some are sosteep that walking is difficult, and parking cars need good breaks. This one is steeper than it looks in the photo and then has a flight of steps to reach the top.

• Cons:difficult roads for pedestrians
  • Last visit to Latakia: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 2, 2010

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Sounds like an interesting place, with a nice beach and ancient ruins. Pity about the problems with leaving the hotel.

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Latakia

Have you been to Latakia?

Latest Activity in Latakia