"Mecca el Makarrama" Top 5 Page for this destination Mecca by uglyscot
Mecca Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 341 photos
Mecca is the holiest site in Islam, because the prophet Mohamed received a command to make the Kaaba the qibla [the direction towards which Muslims face to pray] , instead of the earlier site of Jerusalem.
Every year millions of pilgrims flock to Mecca. As a result there has been a lot of construction to cater for the accomodation of the pilgrims, and extensions to the mosque itself. After a number of fatal accidents, there have been greater security measures taken at the danger spots like at Jamrat and the tunnels.
On the day of the Eid and the next two days, pilgrims throw stones at three pillars in turn , 'stoning the devil'. The stones are the size of a bean and collected from Muzdelifa. Each pilgrim throws 49 or 70 stones. The sick, elderly and women can appoint someone to do this for them, as this is the most dangerous part of the hajj ritual. Some people throw handfuls, or pebbles with aggression and use force, which has led to fatalities in the past.
At the hajj men have to wear the same clothes, whether rich or poor. That is a large towel tied round the waist, and another covering the chest and one shoulder. Any stitched clothing is forbidden.
Women have to wear a garment that covers the body completely, but not the hands or face.
This uniformity is to emphasise that all men are equal before God..
a small soft bag , as you have to carry your belongings with you. If you are staying longer after the hajj , then a... more travel advice
On the day before the Eid, pilgrims move from Mina to Mount Arafat where they will stay until sunset. They pray, read... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Mecca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Spiritual Experience."
- "It all begins in Makkah, Arabia."
- "Makkah Al-Mukarramah"
- "Allah Ho Akber - ALLAH IS GREAT !"
- "Mecca el Makarrama"
- "fouads's new Mecca Page"
- "MAKKAH AL-MUKARAMAH."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mecca
- Hotels in Mecca
- Transportation in Mecca
- Nightlife in Mecca
- Restaurants in Mecca
- Shopping in Mecca
- Warnings and Dangers in Mecca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mecca
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Mecca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mecca
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues