"the rose coloured city" Petra by uglyscot
Petra Travel Guide: 981 reviews and 2,516 photos
Nothing you have read or seen really prepares you for the reality of Petra.
No visit to Jordan is complete without a trip to Petra. We went by car and decided to go via the Dead Sea route. The scenery is amazing, but I was not happy driving up and round the mountains with huge drops down into the valleys.
Although there were a lot of tourists around, it was not difficult to find a horse and cart to take us through the gorge into Petra. The passage through the gorge which was longer than I had expected was interesting because of the rock formations.
Then the arrival at the exit, and you are faced with the rosy coloured Khaznah [Treasury]. .
It's best to visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon to appreciate the rose-coloured monuments. Ideally a few days are needed to explore the place properly,
See tips to get a rose-coloured picture!
With my interest in geology, I was as much interested in the rock formations and the rocks themselves as in the buildings of Petra. The rose -colour is most obvious in the early morning and late afternoon. Many of the rock faces are very red and pink in colour, often banded..
One of the problems in Petra is that the locals have realised that they can make money by selling chunks of rock cut from the cliffs. They also offer 'old' coins for sale, usually in a manner that suggests that what they have for sale is special, or rare. If you part with a few dollars, you'll probably find someone with a stall selling the identical coin at a cheaper price.
The rose coloured cliffs are obviously a sedimentary rock as can be seen by the layers of colour, and the relative ease... more travel advice
Round the corner of the hills that contain the Street of Facades and the theatre, the scene changes into a valley. Here... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Petra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petra : the city of the caravans"
- "Petra: a wonderful town"
- "A love story with Petra"
- "The Nabataean City"
- "Petra - a highlight of Jordan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petra
- Hotels in Petra
- Transportation in Petra
- Nightlife in Petra
- Restaurants in Petra
- Shopping in Petra
- Warnings and Dangers in Petra
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Petra
- 9 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Petra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petra
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Petra hotel reviews
- Taybet Zaman Hotel and Resort
- 236 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Petra Movenpick
- 1062 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Grand View Resort Petra
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Petra Palace
- 254 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Resort Petra
- 222 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Amra Palace Hotel
- 561 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- El Rashid Hotel
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Moevenpick Nabatean Castle Hotel
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Valentine Inn
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013