Mumbai Things to Do Tips by uglyscot
Mumbai Things to Do: 685 reviews and 1,343 photos
The former Mumbai University buildings are particularly attractive. They are built in Italian Gothic style. The main feature to attract tourists is the 260 ft high clock tower now called Rajabai Clock Tower.The building was established in 1857 as Fort Campus for Bombay University which was one of the first 3 universities in India. Nowadays the buildings are used by the university administration.
Directions: next to the High court buildings
This magnificent looking building lies in the old centre of Mumbai. I resembles St Pancras station in London, being built in Victorian Italianate Gothic style. It has carved stone friezes and stained glass windows, flying buttresses and on the top of the central dome is a triumphant figure of Progress. It was bult to commemorate Victoria's Jubilee day in 1887.
a silver door
This temple on the Malabar Hills can be visited free of charge as it is a working temple. Shoes have to be left in the courtyard. Photography is allowed, but you must not turn your back on the statues.
Inside the temple are statues to the main gods, especially Ganesh, and the building is beautifully decorated with paintings showing Hindu mythology.
The Jain help the community and donations in gold and silver appear as doors and ornaments as well as cash.
A small donation can be made, but is not obligatory.
Address: Malabar Hills
people on the beach
The Bay of Mumbai has beaches,and on the opposite side of the road the hotels, restaurants and shops of Marine Drive. It is popular with families who stroll along, lovers who sit on the wall and canoodle, cyclists , and people who just enjoy being by the open space of the sea and enjoy the views of the whole curve of the bay with its flotilla of boats, .
Address: Marine Drive, Mumbai
overview of laundry
from one of the flyovers there is an amazing view of the Mumbai laundry district. Colourful saris and white underclothes and bedding can be seen hanging to dry.
In another corner dhobie men are to be seen beating and rubbing the clothes. Apparently all the chemicals used are provided by the municipality. The washermen have clients from all over Mumbai.
This small museum is where Gandhi rented a room at the top of the house for 17 years [1917-1934). Here he took up spinning.
There are over 50 000 books and correspondence .
The museum is open from 9.30am- 6.00pm daily
Address: Laburnum Street
Directions: near Police Station Gamdevi [2380-5864]
The museum building
The Museum was formerly the Prince of Wales building, with a statue of him in the grounds.
Entrance costs. 300 rupees which includes an audio guide lasting 45 minutes.. I found the guide which highlights 38 displays explained the various gods and goddesses clearly, so that I began to get an idea of the Hindu religion. There are 30,000 ancient artefacts from India and Nepal.The miniature paintings on the first floor were a great attraction, and myths and legends were interesting. On the upper floor was china and glass from various eras, and Western art donated by various patrons. Some of these were by well-known old masters and I enjoyed the collection
Use of video cameras and flash inside is not allowed.
However, there are a few statues in the gardens.
Entrance from 11.00am to 5.30pm from Tuesday to Sunday.
Address: Kala Ghoda, Colaba 2284-4519
The hanging Gardens is on Malabar Hills where the main water reservoir for the city is located. The reservoir has been covered over with grass as protection from pollution and sabotage. People can be seen enjoying themselves and jogging round the area.
unfortunately it was dark when we arrived there, so no photographs were available.
Just across the road is the Kamala Nehru park. It has a children's playground, and a Japanese bonsai garden, as well as local trees. From the park there is a good view of the bay- except we were there at night.
Address: alabar Hills
The Gatewy of India
This ornamental gateway was built for the visit of King George V and Queen Mary's visit to India in December 1913.
It stands on the bay and near the Taj Palace Hotel. When we were there Dec 2007, restoration/beautification of the area was going on, so good photographs were not easy to take. Hawkers, beggars and tourists flock to the area, so it can be very crowded.
Address: On the Marine Drive
Directions: near the Taj palace Hotel
More Reviews (7)
uglyscot's Related Pages
Mumbai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Mumbai (Bombay)"
- "My Second Home"
- "Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix"
- "Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"
- ""my" Gateway of India..."
- "Mumbai, Bombay....its all the same..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mumbai
- Hotels in Mumbai
- Transportation in Mumbai
- Nightlife in Mumbai
- Restaurants in Mumbai
- Shopping in Mumbai
- Warnings and Dangers in Mumbai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mumbai
- 16 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Mumbai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mumbai
Photos in MumbaiSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gateway of India- 53 Reviews, 113 Photos
- Chowpatty Beach- 18 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Marine Drive- 29 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Haji Ali Dargah- 9 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Victoria Terminus- 32 Reviews, 70 Photos
- Hanging Gardens- 12 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Taj Mahal Hotel- 20 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Elephanta Caves- 19 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Juhu Beach- 14 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Crawford Market- 9 Reviews, 23 Photos
See All Mumbai Things to Do