"The Highland Region" Highland by uglyscot
Highland Travel Guide: 1,665 reviews and 4,099 photos
My mother's family came from the Highland Region of Scotland, so I am familiar with this beautiful area of Britain with its lochs, mountains, clear skies, beautiful sunsets and friendly people.
Inverness is considered to be the Highland Capital. It has train links to the West Coast and the Western Isles; to the far north, to the east and south to Edinburgh, Glasgow, and of course London.
There are now motorways and also smaller narrow roads. What used to take days to reach in the past can now be reached easily because of a series of bridges leading to the north. The Kessock bridge means a traveller can head straight northwards across the Black Isle , then across the Cromarty Firth Bridge , heading further north and then the Dornoch Firth Bridge straight up to the top of Scotland. These bridges avoid going round the the firths, although the route is more scenic. However, crossing the Black Isle has its own beauty : driving down the crest of the peninsular with its dark trees, coming through farmland and down to the shore of the Cromarty Firth with views across to Ben Wyvis and the other mountains.
the Easter Ross peninsular may also be neglected with the arrival of the bridges, but driving around this small area can be well worth the trouble. There are Pictish stones at Nigg, Shandwick , [see individual pages] and formerly Hilton. Nigg has a small beach, but further along the coast is the beautiful sandy beach at Shandwick and then Portmahomack.
The area is mainly agricultural, but along the coast are the fishing villages of Shandwick, Balintore, Hilton and Rockfield. All are worth seeing as they still have their traditional appearance.
Further inland around Fearn, with its historic Abbey Church, are hidden jewels like Loch Eye, now a bird sanctuary.
uglyscot's Related Pages
Highland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favorite part of Scotland"
- "A Journey Back Through Time"
- "From Argyll To Sutherland"
- "The Highlands - The true essence of Scotland"
- "On and Mostly Off the Road in the Highlands"
- "Highlands and Islands of Scotland"
- "The highlands - the true scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Highland
- Hotels in Highland
- Transportation in Highland
- Nightlife in Highland
- Restaurants in Highland
- Shopping in Highland
- Warnings and Dangers in Highland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Highland
- 8 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Highland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Highland
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
Top Highland hotels
- Inverness Hotels
- 339 Reviews - 758 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Portree Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Strathpeffer Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Invergarry Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Ullapool Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 279 Photos
- Fort Augustus Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 41 Photos
- Durness Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 108 Photos
- Dingwall Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Ballachulish Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Strath Gairloch Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Staffa Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Isle of Skye Hotels
- 443 Reviews - 885 Photos