"Deutschland" Germany by Arial_27

Germany Travel Guide: 57,006 reviews and 167,743 photos

My six-week trip...

HALLO, Herzlichen Willkommen (welcome) to my Deutschland page!!

I spent six weeks in the southern part Germany, near the city of Stuttgart on a student exchange. I stayed with a family in a small town called Beutelsbach. The son of the family, Moritz, spent six weeks in my home in Canada in the fall and then it was my turn to learn about his culture by staying with him. I found Germany to be a beautiful country; it seems like a wonderful place to live, go to school, and get an education. German students don't finish school until the middle of July, so I was fortunate to be able to attend highschool ("Gymnasiam") there for two weeks. My host family lived near the vineyards, so I would often go biking, and jogging through the grape hills and strolling through the small village they lived in which had many small boutiques, criss-cross houses (as I like to call them) and a train station. I met a lot of great people here, went on a road trip with another Canadian girl I met and visited a lot of different regions including Baden-Baden, Fussen, Munich, Heidelberg, and Bamberg.

The Germans love flowers, and many of them hang them outside the windows of their houses as seen in this photo. I took this picture on a boat tour in the river that goes through the city of Bamberg, in Bavaria. If you're ever in Bamberg and have the chance to do the boat tour, I'd highly recommend it. Its a great way to discover the city and take a lot of gorgeous pictures like this one.

My main goal when visiting Germany was to gain a working-knowledge in the language. When I first met Moritz, my exchange partner, I was 17 years old and did not speak a word of German and was concerned about how I would get on communicating with his family and peers in Germany. I bought a few books and spent about 15 minutes a day teaching myself new words and phrases that I would use in Germany.

When I arrived in Germany, Moritz was surprised how much my German had improved; and although I was still very weak in the language, it improved immensely over the six weeks I was there because I was stubborn as hell and wouldn`t allow anyone to speak English to me. If they did say something in English, I'd often say "Ich kann nicht Englisch verstehen, konnen Sie es auf Deutsch wiederholen bitte?" It was definately worth it in the end! There's no faster and better way to learn a language than going to stay in a place where its spoken. Then, you have to make a concerted effort to use that language, even if its hard to convince native speakers to use it with you.

• Pros:beautiful scenery, friendly people, "criss-cross" houses, kartoffelsalat
  • Cons:There were a LOT of bees here in the summer. id never seen so many in my life
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful, interesting coutry with great scenery and things to see.
  • Last visit to Germany: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 30, 2009

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Nice stuff, like the personal touch. (By the way "definitely" has no a) Cheers.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Hello, Kristin! ><><>< Thanx for your nice stories! Ich besuche dieses Land auch gern!

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2008 at 6:02 AM

Vunderbar! Just got back from the fatherland. Barry in Lafayette, Louisiana

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Guten Tag! I visited Germany for the first time in May. In the months before my trip, I learned some Germany from Pimsleur CDs (great, by the way). I agree that Germans appreciate it when you converse at least a little in their language.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Great page on one of my favorite places on earth, Ariel. Great job. And, we haven't spoken in quite a while, are you doing well? :)

• lou31's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2006 at 11:11 PM

Great pages and nice pics. I must try the potatoe salad recipe!

• tjackson74's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2006 at 2:43 AM

I have bought two of these books recently, one for my daughter and one for myself. I am glad to see that someone else has used it. Traci

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2006 at 9:00 AM

Some 'zehr schon' tips here. You obviously had a great time! And i like the illustration for your 'Warnings' tip :-)

• Oct 5, 2005 at 9:53 AM

Beautiful page Arial! Especially enjoyed your 'Kartoffelsalat' tip! Greetings to CA!

• Oct 4, 2005 at 7:47 AM

Hi Arial! lovely Germany page you have here - I have to rush now but I shall be back later to see the rest of it! Maria :)

Arial_27

“On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.”

Badges & Stats in Germany

Have you been to Germany?

Latest Activity in Germany