"Land of monkies and nasi goreng" Sumatra by Arial_27
Sumatra Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 92 photos
Sumatra is breathtaking in landscape and fascinating in what you can see. Make sure you don't miss Lake Toba when you're here.
Although the largest island in Indonesia, Sumatra is much less touristy than Bali, Java and other parts of Indonesia. Because of this, you're more likely to face cultrural shock. I was fairly well travelled before coming here, but after 10 days was very reaady to leave. The male attention was smothering and became too much. I got sick of being gawked at, harassed and constantly ripped off because I'm white (and for that, they'll assume you're rich.) I've been in sitations where I'd be stared at/harassed by men before, but the level of harassment you'll get here is almost extreme. I couldn't go anywhere without multiple people trying to talk to me. My blonde hair probably didn't help. Just prepare for something like this before you go! Wear a wig if possible.
- Pros:Gorgeous senery, exotic animals and wildlife
- Cons:The men!
- In a nutshell:It'll be an adventure
Medan is the capital city of North Sumatra and has a population of over 2 million. It's the 4th largest city in... more travel advice
This was a fancy place to stay compared to the much cheaper options there were. It worked out to be a total of $10 a... more travel advice
Arial_27's Related Pages
Sumatra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wild and Marvelous Land of Sumatra"
- "Scenic Sumatra"
- "Land of monkies and nasi goreng"
- "Beautiful Island, But..."
- "Home of the Orang Utan"
- "Roadtrip: Jakarta - Padang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sumatra
- Hotels in Sumatra
- Transportation in Sumatra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sumatra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sumatra
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Sumatra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sumatra
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- South Korea Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Dominican Republic Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Australia Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 18 reviews, 7 photos