"Fátima" Top 5 Page for this destination Fátima by NunoF
Fátima Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 207 photos
The sanctuary of Fátima is a devotional shrine on a prodigious scale, a pilgrim destination on a par with Santiago de Compostela in Spain or Lourdes in France. The Neo-Baroque limestone basilica, flanked by statues of saints, has a 65-m tower and an esplanade twice the size of St Peter?s Square in Rome.
On 13 of May and 13 of October thousands of pilgrims arrive to commemorate appearances of the Virgin to three shepherd children. On 13 of May 1917, 10-year-old Lucia Santos and her young cousins, Francisco and Jacinta, saw a shining figure in a holm oak tree. She ordered them to return to the tree on the same day for six months and by 13 October 70,000 pilgrims were with the children by the tree. Many spoke of ?the miracle of the sun?, yet only Lucia heard the three ?Secrets of Fátima?, spoken on her last appearance. The first talked of peace (this was during World War I), the second was about Russia, the third was never divulged as it supposedly prophesied a disater so terrible ?the living would envy the dead?.
Inside the basilica, begun in 1928, are the tombs of Jacinta and Francisco. Lucia, who became a Carmelite nun, is still alive today. The stained-glass windows show scenes of the sightings. In the esplanade, the Capela das Aparições marks the site of the apparition. Inside, the crown of the Virgin holds the bullet extracted from Pope John Paul II after the assassination attempt in 1981. A symbolic holm oak stands outside.
13-05-1967 - The Holy Father Paul Vl came to Fatima, for the 50th anniversary of Our Lady's 1st Apparition, to pray... more travel advice
In the year 1917, in a mountainous region at the center of Portugal, the Mother of God appeared six times to three... more travel advice
NunoF's Related Pages
Fátima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "...not a pilgrimage..."
- "Religous? Make your own mind up!"
- "Fatima - Faith and Business"
- "Fatima - Portugal's Holiest Town"
- "Sinners & Saints"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fátima
- Hotels in Fátima
- Transportation in Fátima
- Nightlife in Fátima
- Restaurants in Fátima
- Shopping in Fátima
- Warnings and Dangers in Fátima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fátima
- 9 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Fátima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fátima
Photos in FátimaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sintra Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Queluz Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fátima Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lagos Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Palmela Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 22 photos, 4 travelogues