"National Palace of Queluz" Queluz by NunoF
Queluz Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 164 photos
In 1747, D. Pedro, younger son of King Jo?o V, commissioned Mateus Vicente to transfore his 17th-century hunting lodge into a Rococo summer palace (this lodge was a former property of the Marquis of Castelo Rodrigo, but it was confiscated after the Restauration in 1640).
The central section, including a music room and chapel was then built, but after Pedro's marriage in 1760 to the future Queen Maria I, the palace was again extended. The French architect, Jean-Baptiste Robillion, added the sumptuous Pavilion and gardens, cleared space for the Throne Room and redesigned the Music Room.
Since then the Queluz Palace is sometimes compared to the Versailles Palace because of all that sumptuous new rooms. Unfortunately they aren't in their best conditions, everytime i travel abroad I always think about it when I visit some beautiful palaces and castles wich are kept in good conditions.
This is the Don Quixote chamber, where our King Pedro IV was born and died. The chamber has this name because the... more travel advice
The Hanging Gardens designed by Robillion, were built over arches, raising the ground in front of the palace above the... more travel advice
NunoF's Related Pages
Queluz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An ancient suburb"
- "So much to see in one small place..did I say SMALL"
- "National Palace of Queluz"
- "A Portuguese Versailles"
- "Versailles in the Pink"
- "Queluz. The palace is gorgeous..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Queluz
- Hotels in Queluz
- Transportation in Queluz
- Restaurants in Queluz
- Warnings and Dangers in Queluz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Queluz
- 6 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Queluz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Queluz
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sintra Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Queluz Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fátima Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lagos Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Palmela Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 22 photos, 4 travelogues