"Setúbal" Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal by NunoF
Setúbal Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 146 photos
The city served as a royal residence during the reign of King John II (1481-95). With the exception of the Church of Jesus (begun in 1490) and the 17th-century São Filipe Castle, the older buildings of Setúbal were almost totally destroyed in the catastrophic earthquake of 1775. In the sand hills of the left bank of the estuary are the ruins of the Roman town of Cetobriga, which was destroyed by tidal wave in AD 412.
Today the city is Portugal's third most important port and Setúbal district occupies the peninsula between the Tagus and Sado estuaries, as well as more arid stretches south of the Sado estuary in with wheat, rye and corn are grown along with considerable quantities of olives and fruits. The peninsula is remarkable for the profuse vegetation of the southern slope of the Serra de Arrábida along the shouthern coast.
A magnificent Moorish castle in Palmela and the 15th- and 16th-century Quinta da Bacalhoa at Vila Fresca de Azeitão are notable landmarks.
When we visited Cabo (cape) Espichel it was raining, that's why the picures aren't too good. We also found that Cabo... more travel advice
Manuel Maria Barbosa du Bocage (1765-1805) was born in Setúbal, the son of a lawyer and a French woman. He attended the... more travel advice
NunoF's Related Pages
Setúbal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a true port city"
- "Setúbal: The City of Commerce and Tourism"
- "Branco's Setubal Page"
- "flyingkiwi's new Setubal Page"
- "Setubal, on the way south"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Setúbal
- Hotels in Setúbal
- Transportation in Setúbal
- Restaurants in Setúbal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Setúbal
- 5 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Setúbal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Setúbal
Photos in SetúbalSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sintra Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Queluz Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fátima Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lagos Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Palmela Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 22 photos, 4 travelogues