"Taughannock Falls" Taughannock Falls State Park by Fewf
Taughannock Falls State Park Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Taughannock is a 215-foot-high, narrow waterfall. Upstream and downstream of the falls lies a gorge of impressive size and depth, but the creek usually carries so little water that most of the gorge is dry.
The local Indian tribes, the Cayuga and Seneca, had a legend that a captured Delaware brave fell in love with a Cayuga maiden. They fled in the night to the Delawares' canoes on Cayuga Lake, but somebody noticed and alerted the village, and the brave and maiden ended up in a hopeless chase, knowing the brave would be tortured to death (per Iroquois code) when caught. They had been running for the creek crossing above the falls, but now they realized they wouldn't make it, so they embraced and leapt off the edge of the falls.
The legend goes on to say that the villagers returned in the morning to pick up their remains, but the remains were nowhere to be found. Evidently, they say, the Great Spirit sympathized with the couple and had opened the door you see to the right of the falls and ushered them in.
Fewf's Related Pages
Taughannock Falls State Park Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Taughannock Falls State Park
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Taughannock Falls State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taughannock Falls State Park
Photos in Taughannock Falls State ParkSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Anaheim Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Ithaca Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos
- Simi Valley Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Salisbury Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Harwich Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Estado de Baja California Norte Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
No friends yet.