"This Mirage is Real" Simi Valley by Fewf
Simi Valley Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 97 photos
The hills beyond the San Fernando Valley are occasionally, during the winter, a nearly fluorescent hue of green--that's when I generally take pictures--but most of the year, they tend towards a dry brown, or else a charred black. The sun is piercing, the heat is searing, and water is virtually nonexistent. Amid these hills, the lushness, year-round greenness, and ostensible life of Simi Valley (the life of the hills being more subtle most of the year) is a shock to the senses.
The shock wears off quickly. Unless you live and/or work there, there's not much to do in Simi. The valley is eight miles long and two miles wide, and the city of Simi Valley has spread out to fill that whole area. It's a long, long walk from one part of it to another, and while I've heard of public transportation there, I've never seen it. So you'd better have a car--which, if you want to go "do something," you will use to leave Simi Valley.
Myself, I tend to go right back into the hills. The adventurous soul could spend a lifetime exploring those. Before it became a standard suburb, all kinds of crazy people used to live around here, and a few Westerns were filmed in the hills in Corriganville Park. And development stops as soon as the elevation rises ten feet above the valley floor, so after even the slightest climb, you can head in any direction you want.
But no matter how much I go into the hills, I always find myself returning to the valley. Something always draws me back. I think it might be the water taps.
Rocky Peak Fire Road leads deep into the hills with a lot of excellent views. It later joins up with other fire roads,... more travel advice
A bunch of western action movies were filmed around here. Now it's just a little park with some good walks. If you want... more travel advice
Fewf's Related Pages
Simi Valley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Simi Valley~Air Force One"
- "This Mirage is Real"
- "Yubert's Simi Valley Page"
- "Mi Casa"
- "Simi Valley - California"
- "Simi Valley"
- "Nice place to hang out!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Simi Valley
- Hotels in Simi Valley
- Transportation in Simi Valley
- Nightlife in Simi Valley
- Restaurants in Simi Valley
- Shopping in Simi Valley
- Warnings and Dangers in Simi Valley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Simi Valley
- 11 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Simi Valley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Simi Valley
Top 10 Pages
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Anaheim Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ithaca Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos
- Simi Valley Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Salisbury Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Harwich Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Estado de Baja California Norte Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
No friends yet.