"This Mirage is Real" Simi Valley by Fewf

Simi Valley Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 96 photos

The hills beyond the San Fernando Valley are occasionally, during the winter, a nearly fluorescent hue of green--that's when I generally take pictures--but most of the year, they tend towards a dry brown, or else a charred black. The sun is piercing, the heat is searing, and water is virtually nonexistent. Amid these hills, the lushness, year-round greenness, and ostensible life of Simi Valley (the life of the hills being more subtle most of the year) is a shock to the senses.

The shock wears off quickly. Unless you live and/or work there, there's not much to do in Simi. The valley is eight miles long and two miles wide, and the city of Simi Valley has spread out to fill that whole area. It's a long, long walk from one part of it to another, and while I've heard of public transportation there, I've never seen it. So you'd better have a car--which, if you want to go "do something," you will use to leave Simi Valley.

Myself, I tend to go right back into the hills. The adventurous soul could spend a lifetime exploring those. Before it became a standard suburb, all kinds of crazy people used to live around here, and a few Westerns were filmed in the hills in Corriganville Park. And development stops as soon as the elevation rises ten feet above the valley floor, so after even the slightest climb, you can head in any direction you want.

But no matter how much I go into the hills, I always find myself returning to the valley. Something always draws me back. I think it might be the water taps.

• Last visit to Simi Valley: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2006

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Great page! You know VTers need to know that a place of destination doesn't always have to be a building to see. I like your tips and Yes, my boys think IHOP rocks!!!

Fewf

“If there's no ocean in the way, take a train.”

Badges & Stats in Simi Valley

Have you been to Simi Valley?

Latest Activity in Simi Valley