"Next to the Teutoburger Wald" Horn-Bad Meinberg by himalia11
Horn-Bad Meinberg Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 89 photos
Horn-Bad Meinberg actually are two towns: Horn, and Bad Meinberg. The towns are located at the border of the Teutoburger Wald (Teutoburg Forest) and the Eggegebirge (Egge Range), which are ranges of low mountains directly near each other. There are many small villages that also belong to Horn-Bad Meinberg, like Holzhausen-Externsteine or Leopoldstal.
We stayed a few days in Bad Meinberg, which by the way is a spa town (that’s what “Bad” means in German town names…). The town suffers from a decrease of spa guest, though, as health insurance nowadays less often pay for a cure and people therefore rather go for a cure in cheaper countries. We saw some closed hotels and restaurants, which probably is a result of this. But Bad Meinberg still is having the tourism, the hotel we stayed at was pretty full over the week-end, and we found it a good place for doing excursions.
Sights near Bad Meinberg:
- Externsteine in Holzhausen-Externsteine (8 km from Bad Meinberg): Interesting rock formation, one of the mostly visited sights in that region
- Hermannsdenkmal near Detmold (14 km): Monument of the Cherusci Hermann (also called Arminius), another famous sight
- Westphalian Open Air Museum in Detmold (11 km): Big open air museum with many historic houses from all over Wesphalia
- Vogelpark Heiligenkirchen (12 km): Bird park near Detmold; there are not only birds but also other animals like apes and kangaroos
- Adlerwarte Berlebeck (11 km): Bird of prey shows and aviaries, also near Detmold
- Detmold (11 km): Nice town with many old half-timbered houses (see my Detmold page)
- Culinarium in Nieheim (22 km): A set of museums about cheese, bread, ham and beer (see my Nieheim page)
- Bad Salzuflen (30 km): Another spa town (a bit more frequented) with a saline and nice spa gardens
- Paderborn (30 km): Nice town with a historic centre and the springs of the Pader river (see my Paderborn page)
For further information on the region please visit the website http://www.naturpark-teutoburgerwald.de, it’s German only but has great information about the sights, car parks, hiking paths etc.
The guesthouse is in the centre of Bad Meinberg, it’s about 200m to the spa gardens. The room was not large but spacious... more travel advice
The Silberbachtal is a nice valley near Leopoldstal with several hiking paths. Some long distance hiking paths also go... more travel advice
himalia11's Related Pages
Horn-Bad Meinberg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Horn-Bad Meinberg
- Hotels in Horn-Bad Meinberg
- Transportation in Horn-Bad Meinberg
- Restaurants in Horn-Bad Meinberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Horn-Bad Meinberg
- 8 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Horn-Bad Meinberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Horn-Bad Meinberg
- Posted in Travel Bad Camberg Forum "Re: train station"
- updated a Horn-Bad Meinberg Travel Page "Next to the Teutoburger Wald"
- Wrote a Review Good place for a few days in Horn-Bad Meinberg Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good place for a few days"
- Commented on one of MD2nd's Horn-Bad Meinberg travel pages
Photos in Horn-Bad MeinbergSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Wales Intro, 29 reviews, 130 photos
- Scotland Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos
- Löffingen Intro, 16 reviews, 68 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos
- Franche-Comté Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limburg an der Lahn Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lindenfels Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Monschau Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos
- Bad Ems Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Bremen Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos