"The northeast of Slovenia" Murska Sobota by himalia11

Murska Sobota Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 89 photos

Murska Sobota is a little city of about 20000 inhabitants in the north-east of Slovenia. This region is less touristy than the other parts of Slovenia, but also interesting and worth a visit. It shows you how different the regions of Slovenia are!

Murska Sobota is situated in the region that is called Prekmurje which means something like "over the river Mura". This river Mura separates this region from the rest of Slovenia. In a small part in the east of Prekmurje, close to the border with Hungary, lots of signs are also in Hungarian, and there's a small minority of Hungarian people. Also, you'll notice the Austrian influence in Prekmurje, lots of people there speak German with an Austrian accent. And several websites are only in Slovenian and German, not English!

I'm putting all my tips about the Prekmurje region on this page as Murska Sobota is the major city there and I don't think it make sense to build several pages for each place with just one tip.

We've stayed two nights in a hotel in Moravske Toplice close to M. Sobota and from there explored the rest of Prekmurje. Luckily we were joined by my Slovenien penfriend who used to live in M. Sobota and could show us the most interesting places and give some more background information. If it had not been for her, I'm not sure if we had visited this area as there are so little information about it, but it was nice and interesting and I'm glad that we've seen also this part of Slovenia!

• Last visit to Murska Sobota: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 25, 2005

Comments

himalia11

“Carpe Diem!”

Badges & Stats in Murska Sobota

Have you been to Murska Sobota?

Latest Activity in Murska Sobota