"Lichtenstein - castle & town" Schloß Lichtenstein by himalia11

Schloß Lichtenstein Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 45 photos

Schloss Lichtenstein, or Lichtenstein castle, is a small fairy tale castle in south-west Germany, situated about 10 km south of Reutlingen on a rock at the northern border of the "Schwäbische Alb" (Swabian Alb). Lichtenstein means "light stone" as it's build on a limestone rock which is light coloured. In that area you will find more such rocks, although it nowadays is not so bright as it probably used to be!

But Lichtenstein not only is a castle, but also a community which is named by the castle, so my page is about both. The community Lichtenstein consists of the villages Honau, Holzelfingen and Unterhausen. The villages Honau and Unterhausen are situated at the end of the Echaz valley, while Holzelfingen is found on the Swabian Alb. I've been in the Swabian Alb several times as a child and knew that it's a high plateau, but I was not aware that it goes up so steep. The border is like a cliff in the northwest of the Swabian Alb, so to go from Honau up to the Swabian Alb you have to take a serpentine road. It's a really interesting region, lots to do and perfect for hiking!

Other sights in the area:
- Nebelhöhle (mist cave) and Bärenhöhle (bear cave) - 9 km/ 12 km from the castle: two nice dripstone caves, see my Sonnenbühl-Genkingen page!
- Bad Urach - 23 km: spa town with waterfall and castle ruins
- Burg Hohenzollern - 40 km: a large castle in a great location
- Tübingen - 32 km: university town with a nice old town and castle
- Burg Hohengundelfingen - 31 km: very nice castle ruins above the Lauter valley near Gundelfingen

• Last visit to Schloß Lichtenstein: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2009

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Der Ort ist ja hervorragend.... Muss man eines Tages unbedingt besuchen... Bleib gesund!...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2009 at 4:45 AM

Years ago I read Wilhelm Hauff's novel called "Lichtenstein" (and I think I still have the book somewhere) but I never knew there was a castle based on his description. Too bad you don't eat trout -- but I do, so I think I would like it there.

himalia11

“Carpe Diem!”

Badges & Stats in Schloß Lichtenstein

Have you been to Schloß Lichtenstein?

Latest Activity in Schloß Lichtenstein