"Lichtenstein - castle & town" Schloß Lichtenstein by himalia11
Schloß Lichtenstein Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 45 photos
Schloss Lichtenstein, or Lichtenstein castle, is a small fairy tale castle in south-west Germany, situated about 10 km south of Reutlingen on a rock at the northern border of the "Schwäbische Alb" (Swabian Alb). Lichtenstein means "light stone" as it's build on a limestone rock which is light coloured. In that area you will find more such rocks, although it nowadays is not so bright as it probably used to be!
But Lichtenstein not only is a castle, but also a community which is named by the castle, so my page is about both. The community Lichtenstein consists of the villages Honau, Holzelfingen and Unterhausen. The villages Honau and Unterhausen are situated at the end of the Echaz valley, while Holzelfingen is found on the Swabian Alb. I've been in the Swabian Alb several times as a child and knew that it's a high plateau, but I was not aware that it goes up so steep. The border is like a cliff in the northwest of the Swabian Alb, so to go from Honau up to the Swabian Alb you have to take a serpentine road. It's a really interesting region, lots to do and perfect for hiking!
Other sights in the area:
- Nebelhöhle (mist cave) and Bärenhöhle (bear cave) - 9 km/ 12 km from the castle: two nice dripstone caves, see my Sonnenbühl-Genkingen page!
- Bad Urach - 23 km: spa town with waterfall and castle ruins
- Burg Hohenzollern - 40 km: a large castle in a great location
- Tübingen - 32 km: university town with a nice old town and castle
- Burg Hohengundelfingen - 31 km: very nice castle ruins above the Lauter valley near Gundelfingen
We stayed a few nights in the hotel & restaurant Forellenhof Rössle which is known for its trouts. You get there trouts... more travel advice
Traifelberg is a chain of rocks above the village Honau, at the northern border of the Swabian Alb. There's a small... more travel advice
himalia11's Related Pages
Schloß Lichtenstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lichtenstein - castle & town"
- "SCHLOSS LICHTENSTEIN"
- "Lichtenstein Castle"
- "From Moscow to Ulm (BZS-2005) via Lichtenstein"
- "Schloss Lichtenstein"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schloß Lichtenstein
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Schloß Lichtenstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schloß Lichtenstein
Photos in Schloß LichtensteinSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Wales Intro, 29 reviews, 130 photos
- Scotland Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos
- Löffingen Intro, 16 reviews, 68 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos
- Franche-Comté Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limburg an der Lahn Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Monschau Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos
- Bad Ems Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Bremen Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos
- Saßnitz Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues