"Limburg, the town where I was born" Top 5 Page for this destination Limburg an der Lahn by himalia11

Limburg an der Lahn Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 146 photos

Some short information...

Limburg is a small German town (36.000 inhabitants) at the river Lahn, between the mountains Taunus and Westerwald.
I often hear people say: "Limburg, isn't it the city with the beautiful cathedral that you can see from the highway? I've seen it often, but I never been there!". Well, it's worth a visit, and also the Old Town with its medieval houses!

Once, the cathedral of Limburg has been on the banknote for 1000 DM (about 500 Euros). Unfortunately I never had one... ;-) There are still towels which show this banknote, like on this photo, you can get them as souvenir.

Other interesting sites...

There are several other nice towns that you could visit while being in this area:
- Runkel (6 km), a lovely village at the river Lahn, with a small castle
- Weilburg (23 km), another medieval town at the river Lahn, with a palace and a small but interesting cave
- Freienfels (21 km) and its castle ruins, famous for it's medieval festival around May 1st
- Braunfels (32 km), again a nice medieval town, with a fairy-tale castle

• Intro Updated May 15, 2009

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM

beautiful historical city , and so close to Frankfurt, which I love

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Nice to find your page about Limburg! Loved that town & its Lahn river. I wonder whether "Roter Hahn" still exists. Anyway, thanks for stopping by.

• kmohandas's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 4:38 AM

Limburg appears to be a small beautiful town. Ideal for quiet weekends.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Lovely town! I think many years ago when in transit by overland travel from London to Salzburg we stayed at the campsite next to the river but we had no chance to explore the town.

• Neit's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 10:51 AM

Thanks for your comments in my little Limburg page. It is a pitty we only stayed there only some hours, as we didn't have much time.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2005 at 8:36 AM

a nice page and lovely pics ! These halftimbered houses look really great !

• skinz's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 9:51 AM

HI Angela, Thanks for visiting my page. I had not thought of Limburg as a travel destination either.. But i think i have to visit it now.. would love to see the medieval houses!

• Colzy's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 1:31 AM

I had the pleasure of wandering around your home town for about an hour - it was a wonderful hour but not long enough. The twisting cobble stone streets leading up to the cathedral was lovely. The sun decided to shine for that hour too, I was lucky :)

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2005 at 3:58 PM

Oh man. I clicked on your home town only to discover it is the place with the cathedral on the river that I've been wanting to visit for some time. I'm coming this way later this year, hopefully, and taking in Limburg and a few other places nearby.

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2005 at 3:29 AM

You live in a nice town - I have heard a lot from this wonderful timbered houses. Next time I have to visit it - if I am there.

himalia11 Used To Live Here!

himalia11

“Carpe Diem!”

Badges & Stats in Limburg an der Lahn

Have you been to Limburg an der Lahn?

Latest Activity in Limburg an der Lahn