"Hiking holidays in Alpbach" Alpbach by himalia11
Alpbach Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 55 photos
Alpbach is a small village in Tyrol, Austria, and lies on a plateau above the Alpbach valley, at almost 1000m above sea level . It’s located between Wörgl (26 km) and Innsbruck (51 km).
It’s a touristy place with many hotels, appartments and restaurants – actually they offer as many beds as they have inhabitants, which is around 2500. But still it wasn’t too busy there, maybe that changes in winter! Alpbach really is a charming town with having only wooden houses, so it’s no surprise that it was voted "Austria´s most beautiful village" in 1983.
Interesting is that they do not have any street names. Instead, all houses only have a three digit number. It’s a bit confusing, especially as I still don’t understand after which system they distribute these numbers. It seems the new houses simply get a higher number.
We've been twice there now as it's such a nice place, with many hiking paths. We had a wonderful weather the first time and hardly did anything else than hiking. You have such great views on the hiking tracks!
The second time, it was more cloudy with thunderstorms in the late afternoon, but we still had enough opportunities for hiking, and did find many new things to do.
There are also interesting sights nearby, like two great gorges near Brandenberg, the Tiefenbachklamm (14 km from Alpbach) and the Kaiserklamm (26 km from Alpbach), which we visited both times. There's another nice gorge 19 km from Alpbach, the Kundler Klamm.
Also the are several sights in Kramsach (11 km from Alpbach): a funny cemetery, some lakes, and the Tyrolean Farmhouse Museum.
Besides, Rattenberg (11 km from Alpbach) is also worth a visit, with its castle the Augustine monastery museum, and all the glass shops!
- In a nutshell:A great place for hiking!
Sacred Hearth is a catholic feast at the 3rd Friday after Whitsun. In Austria, they celebrate it the Sunday afterwards... more travel advice
The "Weg der Besinnung" (path of contemplation) is also called "Mühlbachweg" as its lower part follows the rivulet... more travel advice
himalia11's Related Pages
Alpbach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hiking holidays in Alpbach"
- "Alpbach Tirol-Austria"
- "Alpbach the place to ski"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alpbach
- Hotels in Alpbach
- Transportation in Alpbach
- Restaurants in Alpbach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alpbach
- 18 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Alpbach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alpbach
- Wrote a Review Herz-Jesu Feuer (Sacred Hearth fire) in Alpbach Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alpbachtal Seenland Card"
- updated a Alpbach Travel Page "Hiking holidays in Alpbach"
- Posted in Travel Limburg an der Lahn Forum "Re: Limburg an der Lahn"
- Commented on one of himalia11's Alpbach travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Wales Intro, 29 reviews, 130 photos
- Scotland Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos
- Löffingen Intro, 16 reviews, 68 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos
- Franche-Comté Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos
- Alpbach Intro, 18 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limburg an der Lahn Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wetzlar Intro, 11 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaprun Intro, 9 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bundesland Salzburg Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos