"Swanage - a nice seaside town" Top 5 Page for this destination Swanage by himalia11
Swanage Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 139 photos
Swanage is is a seaside resort in the south-east of the county Dorset, south of Poole and Bournemouth. It's a nice little town, but probably can get pretty busy in summer! We only spent one night in Swanage on our way back from Cornwall (see my Cornwall VT page) to London and I did regret that we already had to leave the next day. I would have loved to walk some more along the coast which looked great with its cliffs. The South West Coast Path, a long-distance footpath, starts/ ends in nearby Poole Harbour and thus passes Swanage. We already walked it a lot in Cornwall and from I'm sure it offers great views around Swanage also!
South of Swanage is the Durlston Country Park, a nature reserve at the coast. We unfortunately had no time to visit it - we had too much traffic jams on our way to Swanage and already spent a lot of time at the ruins of Corfe Castle which definitly are worth a visit!
The area where Swanage is located is also called Isle of Purbeck. It's not really an island, maybe a peninsula as it's surrounded by the English Channel, Poole Harbour and the River Frome. Purbeck also is the eastern gateway to the Jurassic Coast, which is the coast between Poole and Exmouth - a Natural World Heritage Site, known for all the fossils that are found there.
From Swanage, you can take a stream train to Norden (north of Corfe Castle) which has a large park & ride car park. The... more travel advice
The area north of Swanage is formed of chalk, and the steep white cliffs that you can see from Swanage look really... more travel advice
himalia11's Related Pages
Swanage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Swanage- Dorset, England"
- "Swanage seaside town"
- "Swanage - a nice seaside town"
- "The English Seaside at its best"
- "Peace and quiet - or a real "rocking" place?"
- "Swanage- Dorset"
- "Swanage a peaceful haven outside tourist season"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swanage
- Hotels in Swanage
- Transportation in Swanage
- Restaurants in Swanage
- Shopping in Swanage
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swanage
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Swanage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swanage
Top 10 Pages
- Wales Intro, 29 reviews, 130 photos
- Scotland Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos
- Löffingen Intro, 16 reviews, 68 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos
- Franche-Comté Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limburg an der Lahn Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lindenfels Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Monschau Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos
- Bad Ems Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Bremen Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos