"Swanage - a nice seaside town" Top 5 Page for this destination Swanage by himalia11

Swanage Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 111 photos

Swanage is is a seaside resort in the south-east of the county Dorset, south of Poole and Bournemouth. It's a nice little town, but probably can get pretty busy in summer! We only spent one night in Swanage on our way back from Cornwall (see my Cornwall VT page) to London and I did regret that we already had to leave the next day. I would have loved to walk some more along the coast which looked great with its cliffs. The South West Coast Path, a long-distance footpath, starts/ ends in nearby Poole Harbour and thus passes Swanage. We already walked it a lot in Cornwall and from I'm sure it offers great views around Swanage also!

South of Swanage is the Durlston Country Park, a nature reserve at the coast. We unfortunately had no time to visit it - we had too much traffic jams on our way to Swanage and already spent a lot of time at the ruins of Corfe Castle which definitly are worth a visit!

The area where Swanage is located is also called Isle of Purbeck. It's not really an island, maybe a peninsula as it's surrounded by the English Channel, Poole Harbour and the River Frome. Purbeck also is the eastern gateway to the Jurassic Coast, which is the coast between Poole and Exmouth - a Natural World Heritage Site, known for all the fossils that are found there.

• Last visit to Swanage: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2010

himalia11

“Carpe Diem!”

Badges & Stats in Swanage

Have you been to Swanage?

Latest Activity in Swanage