"With a boat through Lorraine & Alsace" Lorraine by himalia11

Lorraine Travel Guide: 660 reviews and 2,156 photos

We’ve spent one week on a boat, travelling through Lorraine & Alsace. This was adventurous, exhausting and funny!

We started in Mittersheim on the Sarre-Cole-Canal (Canal des Houillières de la Sarre) and continued on the Marne-Rhine-Canal (Canal de la Marne au Rhin) up to Saverne. We spent there a night and the whole morning as Saverne is a very beautiful city. Then we turned and went back to Mittersheim.

We drove 62 km in a beautiful landscape with lakes, forests and hills, had 52 locks (that’s where I got so exhausted!), went through two canal tunnels and passed a boat lift. The weather was a mixture of rain and sun, some good days and some bad days. Back home, I was happy to have a big bathroom again (and electric power for my hair dryer!), but living and driving around on a boat was a great experience!

• Last visit to Lorraine: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2006

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM

What an excellent and unique trip! Another great reason to bounce around the World on VT!

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM

We passed in Gondrexange a few years ago on the GR5 hiking trail to the south. We have wonderful remembers about this area. Nice done Angela. Beautiful pics also! Jean-Pierre

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 6:39 PM

Interesting lock and boat stuff out here!!! I am sure you must have enjoyed it a lot!!!

himalia11

“Carpe Diem!”

Badges & Stats in Lorraine

Have you been to Lorraine?