"Living: Moving and Standing Still" lizhol's Profile

Trains, Colors and Sound

I have traveled to somewhere around 20 countries so far in North and South America, Europe and Asia. I'm originally from Arkansas, lived in Ontario for about 6 months, Quebec for 5 and Grenoble, France for a year. I'm currently living in Asheville, North Carolina working on sustainable, community living and a natural health education.

I can speak French, Spanish and a few random words of Quechua, Italian and Swedish. I collect words meaning "butterfly" in different languages and can say "I'm looking for my book" in Russian. Those bits and pieces that happen on the road...

I tend toward Buddhist and Taoist philosophies and feel most alive when I have a good balance between moving and standing still.

I like to see the world in a raw sense, the shapes, colors, sounds... I love to write and have a passion for photography. I am planning to write a book along my way, during my life at some point, about something that I'm sure will present itself when the time is right.

I'm a very passionate person, can be shy, argumentative, silly, strong, quiet, tough, or whatever the situation seems to bring out! I think we are all that way! Especially when we are on the road!

As for many people, whose lives are travel and for whom travel makes them feel more alive, I have learned more from my travels than from anything else in my life. I've gone to university, but that is extremely pale in comparison to mixing with the world and its people first-hand.

Passion comes alive and I can hardly contain the happiness I feel, the beauty I see (sometimes it makes me cry tears of joy, really), sitting lost on the side of a road, in a Spanish tea shop drinking Moroccan tea, on a train or bus, watching the world fly by - surrounded by languages I don't understand and people I don't know, I feel at peace with the world.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Photo gallery:

Click on Liz Holland "Here and There"

These cover a bit of my travels, but are more of just celebrating the beauty of life - the smallest everyday details as well as wonderful people and magical places!

Night Rain

This is Lyon, France in the spring.

Lyon, city of gastronomique cuisine, good thrift shopping and shimmering lights.

My parents had come to visit and we had an amazing dinner with kir, salmon and a chocolate dessert so rich that we weren't able to finish it.

After dinner we took a walk around the river and as it had just stopped raining this bridge was shining like molten gold in the night. I couldn't resist and crawled down onto the ground with my camera : )

When I was taking this series of pictures a French kid walked by and started making fun of me for lying on the ground, taking pictures of a bridge in the dark...

When I started speaking to him in French he was surprised, then nervous. Finally he walked away, defeated in front of his friends, as his attempt to make fun of a stupid tourist had quickly backfired.

Little did he know, 'chez moi' was just an hour away in Grenoble.

• Intro Updated Nov 19, 2004

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 2:51 PM

happy bday Liz! Haven't seen you around, so hope you have a great bday. saludos,Fernando

• S.H.A.D.A.B's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 9:52 AM

nice pics!

• butterfly_girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2005 at 5:59 AM

Hey Liz...just checking in with you...I hope you are doing well :) Kym

• Jun 8, 2004 at 5:59 AM

Liz, nice home page and pictures. Greetings from India.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2004 at 11:06 AM

Just went to your external page; you take wonderful pictures!!

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2003 at 3:47 AM

Sorry to tell you that you are a truly horrible (only kidding) person, making that poor child feel like the fool that he was (that was a great story... he got what he deserved, maybe he will THINK first next time)...^O^

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2003 at 1:05 PM

Happy Holidays Lizhol..... Thanks for visiting my page.. I should write a book? That is a scary thought!! On many levels. Like what would the book be about?

• va8eha's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2003 at 10:31 AM

Have a wonderful New Year! Looking forward to reading about your trip; the Trans-Siberian and Mongolia are on my "to-do" list. Have fun! :-)

• laughingsun69's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2003 at 1:43 AM

Your trip sounds awsome ,im sure it will be very inspiring to say the least happy travels ;)

• SumTingWong's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2003 at 7:07 AM

Good luck with your big trip!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
lizhol's Profile Photo

lizhol

“Everything we come into contact with becomes a part of our spirit... every place we go lives always inside of ourselves.”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.