Hallstatt Things to Do Tips by nhcram
Hallstatt Things to Do: 129 reviews and 246 photos
Often clothed in a mist or with low cloud Halstatt must be a photographers dream. This picture was actually taken about 4pm on a December afternoon and yes the sight that we saw was actually blue. For really clear shots I suggest you arrive in the morning.
Altar in church
There are two churches in Hallstatt and this simple Catholic church at the far end of Halstatt is as unassuming as it is simple. It is not an establishment dripping with gold as we so often associate with Catholic churches. Pop in, it is free to enter.
Beautiful building that houses old museum
This old museum in Halstatt is a like a journey through time showing paintings ceramics and ofcourse examples of the salt that has been mined here for hundreds of years.Well worth a visit. Once one of the oldest private houses in Halstatt the building was converted to a museum ibetween 1894 and 1898.
The mine railway
A funicular will whisk you up to the Salzwerk, or salt mine, in a valley above the town. If you're energetic, you can hike up in an hour or so, or you can take the funicular up to the mine and walk back down to the village after the mine tour.
Where you could end up if you lve here!
The charnel house in the graveyard of the small local church at the top of the hill contains bones, including painted skulls, of the local dead whose graves are dug up after 10 or 12 years to make room for new clients
More Reviews (3)
nhcram's Related Pages
Hallstatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hallstatt . . . my inspiration"
- "Heavenly Hallstatt......."
- "Hallstatt - Picturesque UNESCO village"
- "Hallstatt...it’s paradise!"
- "Beautiful Hallstatt"
- "Historical, magical, beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hallstatt
- Hotels in Hallstatt
- Transportation in Hallstatt
- Nightlife in Hallstatt
- Restaurants in Hallstatt
- Shopping in Hallstatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Hallstatt
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lanang Hotels
- Bishops Cleeve Hotels
- York Beach Hotels
- Jaunpur Hotels
- Castilla y León
Badges & Stats in Hallstatt
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Hallstatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hallstatt
Photos in HallstattSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
Latest Hallstatt hotel reviews
- Pension Hallberg
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2012
- Seehotel Gruner Baum
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Gasthof Simony
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Gasthof Zauner
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Gasthof Hirlatz
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion