" Always Home....." Top 5 Page for this destination Bedford by nhcram
Bedford Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 82 photos
Well I have been a VT member for 6 months and have only just got round to writing about a special place. This is where I spent my teenage years and where my parents and siblings still live.
It lies on the river Ouse and the embankment is a lovely place to spend a lazy afternoon. The original bridge that crosses the river was replaced by the one that can be seen today and was completed in 1813. The embankment in Bedford is still one of my favorite places.
Bedford is famous for it's association with John Bunyan. A local tinker who became a famous writer. Pilgrims Progress was written in Bedford Jail in the 17th century. John Bunyan was imprisoned here for 12 years for the writing of 'non-conformist' books.
His statue stands in St Peters Street Bedford.
Elstow Abbey lies to the south of Bedford and is famous as the home of John Bunyan . He was baptised here in 1628 and as a young man he worshipped regularly in this abbey.
Wootton is the village near Bedford where I grew up. It still retains its natural charm although it has grown over the years. There are at least 5 pubs in the village so you will never be thirsty or hungry.
My parents and sister still live in the village and I visit as often as I can.
- Pros:My wonderful family who still live there
- Cons:Very busy and noisy
- In a nutshell:Great to visit for the day
OK so this is a chain of restaurants BUT they are consistently good value for money. Chicken is the most popular thing... more travel advice
We stayed here in December rather than driving back to Kent after an evening out. It was friendly clean and and they... more travel advice
nhcram's Related Pages
Bedford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bedford - My Home Town"
- " Always Home....."
- "MY HOMETOWN FOR THE TIME BEING..."
- "Quite a nice town"
- "A Day in Bedford"
- "Bedford My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bedford
- Hotels in Bedford
- Nightlife in Bedford
- Restaurants in Bedford
- Shopping in Bedford
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bedford
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Bedford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bedford
Photos in BedfordSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
Latest Bedford hotel reviews
- The Knife & Cleaver
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Bethany House Bed & Breakfast
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Travelodge Bedford
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Park Inn Bedford
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Bedford Swan Hotel
- 536 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013