" Always Home....." Top 5 Page for this destination Bedford by nhcram

Bedford Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 82 photos

Well I have been a VT member for 6 months and have only just got round to writing about a special place. This is where I spent my teenage years and where my parents and siblings still live.
It lies on the river Ouse and the embankment is a lovely place to spend a lazy afternoon. The original bridge that crosses the river was replaced by the one that can be seen today and was completed in 1813. The embankment in Bedford is still one of my favorite places.
Bedford is famous for it's association with John Bunyan. A local tinker who became a famous writer. Pilgrims Progress was written in Bedford Jail in the 17th century. John Bunyan was imprisoned here for 12 years for the writing of 'non-conformist' books.
His statue stands in St Peters Street Bedford.
Elstow Abbey lies to the south of Bedford and is famous as the home of John Bunyan . He was baptised here in 1628 and as a young man he worshipped regularly in this abbey.

Wootton

Wootton is the village near Bedford where I grew up. It still retains its natural charm although it has grown over the years. There are at least 5 pubs in the village so you will never be thirsty or hungry.
My parents and sister still live in the village and I visit as often as I can.

• Pros:My wonderful family who still live there
  • Cons:Very busy and noisy
  • In a nutshell:Great to visit for the day
  • Last visit to Bedford: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2006

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 12:16 PM

I only know about Bedford because a good friend moved to a close village (Harrold). Looks like a friendly english city to me. Very nice page here.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2005 at 10:50 AM

Interesting, thanks for sharing. (Another place I missed on my trip!)

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2004 at 11:12 PM

la scala should be okay,,,and the bridge a beautiful butterfly,,,!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 6:57 PM

Lovely to grow up in this area and get to go back and visit. Moot Hall looks and sounds great. John Bunyan certainly was 'here'. Love the festival.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 1:36 AM

Its great to see british towns and citys portrayed in this way, great stuff Nat

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2004 at 4:36 PM

As a Bedfordian, I was also at the River Festival over the weekend - a really successful event it was too! Coincidentally, I dined at La Scala as well - that was also a fabulous evening!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 4:31 AM

The embankment looks lovely. I read "Pilgrim's Progress" years ago. The English was a little stilted, but an intriguing tale. I have always thought of myself as a pilgrim. Stephen

• chrishc's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2004 at 10:01 AM

La Scala sounds good!

nhcram

“See the world and its' people from all angles”

Badges & Stats in Bedford

Have you been to Bedford?

Latest Activity in Bedford