"Historical Canterbury." Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury by nhcram

Canterbury Travel Guide: 494 reviews and 1,027 photos

Canterbury is probably England's most famous cathedral city. About 60 miles from London, it attracts more than 2.5 million visitors a year.
It is has charming narrow streets and period architecture, the pedestrian high street has shops of every description, restaurants, cafes and pubs.
The town has pre-Roman and Roman origins and the first cathedral was built here in AD603. The skyline of the city is dominated by the magnificent cathedral, which can be seen from almost every angle.
As the city is only 1 mile in diameter there is no need for a car.
Canterbury is also famous because of Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales' which tells the stories told by pilgrims on their way to Canterbury along the Pilgrims Way from Winchester.
The city is on the River Stour and many of the old buildings can be seen on every street. Some of the city walls still remain and there is also a 14 century gate.

• Pros:History, culture and beauty all in one place.
  • Cons:far too busy in the summer
  • Last visit to Canterbury: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 27, 2008

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I can say I'm looking forward to visiting Canterbury:D

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I very much enjoyed my tour of Canterbury with you - thank you! I read a little bit auf Chaucer in uni and I'd like to check out the Misadventures!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote/The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,/And bathed every veyne in swich licour/Of which vertu engendred is the flour/Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth/Inspired hath in every hold and heeth...

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2009 at 3:14 PM

With hands outstretched the priest welcomes all to come on in and be reverent. Great pics and comments

• May 27, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Hello Natalie! My son and I are planning to go to Canterbury this August. Your tips will sure come in handy. Your restaurant tips are excellent. Seems like good food and good value. bell

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Nicely put together page on Canterbury--what a lovely place! This town is full of interesting history and quality sites...my kind of town!! THANKS

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 5:37 AM

bit of a risky shot of Chris :-) I'm thinking of doing a day trip here when my dutch friend comes over in October do you think we can still do a boat cruise / punt

• jay_krejic's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 6:01 AM

This place is sooooooooo nice Natalie !! I will check how can I get to this place from London.. :D Thanks for your advice. !

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2004 at 12:31 AM

Very interesting. I hav been to Canterbury maybe 20 years ago and I liked it very much.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 5:14 AM

Natalie Canterbury looks like a nice relaxing place to explore, complete with a crooked door and tapas!! I love tapas :-) Cheers from across the pond in Labrador, Canada!!

nhcram Visits Here Frequently!

nhcram

“See the world and its' people from all angles”

Badges & Stats in Canterbury

Have you been to Canterbury?

Latest Activity in Canterbury