"Historical Canterbury." Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury by nhcram
Canterbury Travel Guide: 494 reviews and 1,042 photos
Canterbury is probably England's most famous cathedral city. About 60 miles from London, it attracts more than 2.5 million visitors a year.
It is has charming narrow streets and period architecture, the pedestrian high street has shops of every description, restaurants, cafes and pubs.
The town has pre-Roman and Roman origins and the first cathedral was built here in AD603. The skyline of the city is dominated by the magnificent cathedral, which can be seen from almost every angle.
As the city is only 1 mile in diameter there is no need for a car.
Canterbury is also famous because of Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales' which tells the stories told by pilgrims on their way to Canterbury along the Pilgrims Way from Winchester.
The city is on the River Stour and many of the old buildings can be seen on every street. Some of the city walls still remain and there is also a 14 century gate.
- Pros:History, culture and beauty all in one place.
- Cons:far too busy in the summer
This is part of a chain of restaurants that can be found in many places in England. They offer good cuisine at... more travel advice
Situated in the city centre at the entrance to the cathedral is this traditional pub. The price of a pint is low... more travel advice
nhcram's Related Pages
Canterbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Stomping Ground !"
- "WHITECLIFFS CANTERBURY TALES"
- "Historical Canterbury."
- "Not really a pilgrimage......."
- "A Tale of a Cathedral? It's Canterbury."
- "Canterbury and the cathedral"
- "More than just the Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canterbury
- Hotels in Canterbury
- Transportation in Canterbury
- Nightlife in Canterbury
- Restaurants in Canterbury
- Shopping in Canterbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Canterbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canterbury
- 18 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Canterbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canterbury
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos