"Welcome to England" Top 5 Page for this destination Dover by nhcram
Dover Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 733 photos
The first thing most people see when they approach Dover on one of the many ferries that cross the English channel every day are the White Cliffs of Dover. (Alas the cliffs are not white)
The Eastern docks where most of the ferries come in and go out of are fascinating to watch especially from high above on Langdon Cliffs. The hustle and bustle of the port goes on throughout the night and it looks like a giant scaletrix set with the cars, lorries and coaches weaving their way in and out of the many lanes on their way to the ships or out of the port.
High above Dover is the castle and its' 2000 years of history. allow a day to visit as it has so much to offer with the keep, a Roman lighthouse and a small quaint church called St Mary in the Castle. Have a coffee in one of the restaurants before taking a guided tour the underground hospital and the labyrinth of tunnels that are deep beneath the castle grounds.
Having visited the castle spend some time in the small town and visit the old town gaol near the Town Hall. There is aslo a Triple staricase called the Grand Shaft, and a Roman Painted house. There is also a cruise terminal which is very busy in the summer months.
- Pros:The history.
- Cons:The town needs development!!
- In a nutshell:Give it a day and hopefully you will return again....
Chris and I came here on the advice of friends and wow they were so right about the food here. Served by young ladies... more travel advice
This wonderful country house hotel is about 2 miles form Dover and is set in beautiful grounds which have a Boules... more travel advice
- See All Dover Museum
- Motorcycle Racing
- Seaside Shopping
- Beware of low flying ... Birds
nhcram's Related Pages
Dover Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to England"
- "Gateway to England"
- "MEDIEVAL DOVER"
- "OUR FIRST TOWN IN ENGLAND WAS................."
- "More of a dirty greenish colour"
- "One day trip to Dover.."
- "Just passing through?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dover
- Hotels in Dover
- Transportation in Dover
- Nightlife in Dover
- Restaurants in Dover
- Shopping in Dover
- Warnings and Dangers in Dover
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dover
- 29 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 57 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Dover?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dover
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos