"Welcome to England" Top 5 Page for this destination Dover by nhcram

Dover Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 733 photos

Picture taken on another trip to the continent!

The first thing most people see when they approach Dover on one of the many ferries that cross the English channel every day are the White Cliffs of Dover. (Alas the cliffs are not white)
The Eastern docks where most of the ferries come in and go out of are fascinating to watch especially from high above on Langdon Cliffs. The hustle and bustle of the port goes on throughout the night and it looks like a giant scaletrix set with the cars, lorries and coaches weaving their way in and out of the many lanes on their way to the ships or out of the port.

Above Dover

High above Dover is the castle and its' 2000 years of history. allow a day to visit as it has so much to offer with the keep, a Roman lighthouse and a small quaint church called St Mary in the Castle. Have a coffee in one of the restaurants before taking a guided tour the underground hospital and the labyrinth of tunnels that are deep beneath the castle grounds.

Around Dover

Having visited the castle spend some time in the small town and visit the old town gaol near the Town Hall. There is aslo a Triple staricase called the Grand Shaft, and a Roman Painted house. There is also a cruise terminal which is very busy in the summer months.

• Pros:The history.
  • Cons:The town needs development!!
  • In a nutshell:Give it a day and hopefully you will return again....
  • Intro Updated Dec 16, 2008

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Dover Castle is on my list of one of the best castles in England. So much history and so much to see. Unfortunately the views could have been better when I was there. It was pouring with rain on an inclement October day but I'll never forget it as I was the last one out of the castle. I won't forget either that I had to dash into the nearest pub to take refuge. I can't remember the name of the pub though.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I've heard of the White Cliffs of Dover, and first heard of the place as the home of an experimental tunnel that went under the Channel a few miles in the 1800s. That was before the Channel Tunnel project really got of the ground in the late 1980s.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Hi.. Nice tips on Dover. We'll be in London next week and Dover is a day trip destination for us. Thanks for the ideas.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Revisited your Dover pages. Who knew?
    Birthday greetings and wishing you wonderful travels!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Looks like Dover will be a place to visit soon. Great tips. Greetings, Dawn

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM

This Dover Castle is worth a visit --- 2000 years old! Might check it out in Sept when I am in UK, Norman :)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Hi I need to either find my pics of Dover or head back for another updating visit!Do remember the tour of the Cliffs of Dover wartime tunnels as being excellent. Youve got some excellent restaurant tips here too!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2008 at 4:52 AM

good page... the Gulls got me in various palces this year. I think they sent messages to each other saying where I was! they even managed to drop "one" exactly on my sandwich in Scotland!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2008 at 8:33 AM

hear a lot about Dover but I have not been there. Thanks for about these tips.

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Hi Nat, I've just booked a cruise going from Dover in September so I thought I'd pop along & check out your pages & fantastic reviews - thank you for sharing, Vic x

nhcram Lives Here!

nhcram

“See the world and its' people from all angles”

Badges & Stats in Dover