"Religous? Make your own mind up!" Top 5 Page for this destination Fátima by nhcram

Fátima Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 186 photos

Fatima is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in the world and it is here that the virgin Mary spoke to three young children between May 13th and October 13th 1917. The children Fransisco Marto, Jacinta Marto and their cousin Lucy Dos Santos were all very young. It is a wonderful story but unfortunately this seems to have been forgotten when you visit Fatima. Yes there is mention of the children but it is primarily a site where you can light candles say prayers and visit the enormous church that has been erected there. I thought the whole place a little tacky and not as religious as some places I have visited. If miracles had happened here why are the people there so miserable? I would have expected them to be rejoicing!

Pilgrimages

During most of the year, the shrine of Fatima is a quiet place visited by locals and a few hundred pilgrims each day but on May 13, commemorating the day of the first apparition, and on October 13, the day of the final apparition, ½ a million pilgrims will crowd into the huge square in front of the basilica.

• Pros:Beautiful architecture!
  • Cons:Tacky
  • Last visit to Fátima: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2006

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2009 at 1:43 AM

It seems every time I visit Lisbon with my mother I have to take her to Fatima. Ciao!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Honest evaluation of a place that seems anti-religious to me...making money off of miracles. Your presentation is very good.

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Just catching up on your Portugal pages. Sadly, Fatima looks like a place to AVOID ! Such a pity, it could be so interesting.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Fatima - very heard place for me. We have some very religious places in Lithuania as well - for example, Hill of Crosses or Gates of Dawn in Vilnius. Would like to see religious places in other countries as well. Thanks for this page! ;)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 5:34 AM

Hi Nat - just dropped by to see how you were and got intrigued by your Fatima page. Sadly I've seen these contradiction between a place's religious significance and commercial opportunism elsewhere too. Perhaps it's inevitable??? Sarah x

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 7:15 AM

It is so sad to see commercialism take over a "sacred" site. I had heard this was the case with Fatima but this confirms it. Thanks for sharing this Natalie. Best, Kat

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 2:25 AM

Hmmm, interesting page... perhaps I am now glad that I haven't been to this tacky place on my Portugal trip.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 6:11 AM

That church does look pretty impressive!! Shame about the tacky souvenirs.

nhcram

“See the world and its' people from all angles”

Badges & Stats in Fátima