"Religous? Make your own mind up!" Top 5 Page for this destination Fátima by nhcram
Fátima Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 184 photos
Fatima is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in the world and it is here that the virgin Mary spoke to three young children between May 13th and October 13th 1917. The children Fransisco Marto, Jacinta Marto and their cousin Lucy Dos Santos were all very young. It is a wonderful story but unfortunately this seems to have been forgotten when you visit Fatima. Yes there is mention of the children but it is primarily a site where you can light candles say prayers and visit the enormous church that has been erected there. I thought the whole place a little tacky and not as religious as some places I have visited. If miracles had happened here why are the people there so miserable? I would have expected them to be rejoicing!
During most of the year, the shrine of Fatima is a quiet place visited by locals and a few hundred pilgrims each day but on May 13, commemorating the day of the first apparition, and on October 13, the day of the final apparition, ½ a million pilgrims will crowd into the huge square in front of the basilica.
- Pros:Beautiful architecture!
Inside the basilica you are not encouraged to stand and look around. You are asked to walk slowly. Jacinta and... more travel advice
There is a huge area near the square where candles can be lit. You can buy them there and they are very cheap (surprise,... more travel advice
nhcram's Related Pages
Fátima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "...not a pilgrimage..."
- "Religous? Make your own mind up!"
- "Fatima - Faith and Business"
- "Fatima - Portugal's Holiest Town"
- "Sinners & Saints"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fátima
- Hotels in Fátima
- Transportation in Fátima
- Nightlife in Fátima
- Restaurants in Fátima
- Shopping in Fátima
- Warnings and Dangers in Fátima
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fátima
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Fátima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fátima
Photos in FátimaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (89)
Latest Fátima hotel reviews
- Ibis Leiria
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 10, 2012
- Hotel Avenida de Fatima
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Santa Maria Hotel Fatima
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Cova da Iria Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Feb 14, 2010
- Domus Pacis
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2012
- Cruz Alta
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 13, 2011