"Birthplace of Portugal" Guimarães by nhcram
Guimarães Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 512 photos
Guimaraes is considered the original birthplace of Portugal and it was here in 1139 that King Alfonso proclaimed himself king of Portugal and he chose this town as his capital. In December 2001 Guilmaraes was granted a UNESCO world heritage site.
I actually preferred this town to nearby Braga. It is more relaxed and had a much friendlier feel to it.
There is a lovely town square with typical Portugese houses surrounding it.
The Carmo fountain is in three tiers and was constructed in 1583 by Mestre Goncalo Lopes. It originally stood in the... more travel advice
Built in the 18th century. Not one of the prettiest churches I have seen in portugal. Building finished at the begining... more travel advice
nhcram's Related Pages
Guimarães Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guimaraes - The cradle of Portugal"
- "The Enchanting Medieval City of Guimaraes"
- "Toy medieval city with very friendly people!"
- "Guimarães: The Cradle of Portugal"
- "Birthplace of Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guimarães
- Hotels in Guimarães
- Transportation in Guimarães
- Restaurants in Guimarães
- Shopping in Guimarães
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guimarães
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Guimarães?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guimarães
Photos in GuimarãesSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos