"Cantabrian Capital." Top 5 Page for this destination Santander by nhcram

Santander Travel Guide: 348 reviews and 1,007 photos

The rain in Spain................!!!!

I managed to persuade my husband to come here as the flights were cheap and I really needed to be in real Spain and practise my Spanish!!
The weather was awful as it rained for two of the three days but we got the feel of the place, took as many pictures as we could, had a few beers, tried the tapas and got on with it
Santander is a lively place with very few tourists although I would imagine in the height of summer the beaches would be full as it is such a lovely area.
If you come here wanting to see lots of architecture and monuments you will be very dissappointed as there are not many. The cathedral is one of the best things to see, as is the scenery surrounding the bay.
Santander is reasonably small. The distance from one end of town to the other is about 6km and can be walked in 2 hours along the coast road. Within the city centre everything is within walking distance. Public buses are available at reasonable prices
The El Sardinero part of the city is a lovely place to spend some time in the warmer months.
The people are friendly and warm and helped me with my Spanish.
We will certainly go back for another visit.

Peace in the cathederal grounds.

This wonderful area at the rear of the cathederal in the historic centre of the city.

Shopping For Dinner

Locals going about their everday business.

• Pros:Small and compact
  • Cons:Probably busy in the summer months.
  • In a nutshell:Lovely Spanish Resort
  • Last visit to Santander: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2004

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Natalie, fantastic little page about Santander. We are going to explore Northern Spain for two weeks at the beginning of May and after Bilbao, Santander might be our second stop on this trip. - I really like your hotel tip, although it seems to be a bit out of the city centre.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
      Mar 15, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Well done on my "Where" quiz. - You both seem to be really good at recognising travel photos. *winkygrin*

• nhcram's Profile Photo
      Mar 15, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I am not normally that good to be honest but this one was one that I will never forget. So unusual....Hope you are well. It has been a long time :(

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 3:55 AM

Informative tips and nice photos, for instance of waves. Santander has been in the news lately because the bank of that name is said to have weathered the financial crisis better than most.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Must agree, Spain is one of the best places to enjoy food, specially fish!

• peewee2002's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2006 at 1:07 PM

I am off to Santander next saturday for the weekend to try and improve my spanish. Adios.

• Feb 5, 2005 at 1:14 PM

Like your pics and info,very informative.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 1:11 PM

Gracias por visitando mi pagina! Nice tips, is that elephants head real?

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2004 at 9:27 AM

Another lovely page with great information. I love reading your tips as you obviously enjoy each place or sight. I have to look up Santander in my atlas.

• Arne1981's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 2:41 PM

It is a pleasure to read your tips. I will check them out :) Very nice pictures!!

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2004 at 1:23 PM

You certainly had an enjoyable weekend then Natalie! It looks fab here! As always a brilliant page.....Ali xx

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 4:54 PM

Hey sis! Enjoyed reading your tips and great pics too - Marion xx

nhcram

“See the world and its' people from all angles”

Badges & Stats in Santander

Have you been to Santander?

Latest Activity in Santander