"Calais - A lovely way to spend the day." Top 5 Page for this destination Calais by nhcram
Calais Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 212 photos
In the past ten years the region of Nord Pas de Calais has been transformed by the completion of the Channel Tunnel thus making it easier and quicker to cross the channel to the UK’s closest neighbour. The English coast separates the town of Calais by only 23 and a half miles of water!
Calais boasts that it is the world’s second leading passenger port. It is the ideal place to spend a day or even a short break. The town is an interesting mix of both old and new. It also has some of the North coasts loveliest beaches.
Calais has a large number of shops selling everything you could ever need. They include food and grocery shops, fashion outlets and also souvenir and gift shops.
The town has a magnificent town hall, which is neo-Flemish in style. It has a belfry of 75 meters high.
Calais has easy access to other parts of France using the French railway system. Outside the railway station you can also take the bus to Cite Europe, a large indoor shopping area, which is very popular with locals and tourists alike.
- Pros:Great restaurants.
- Cons:A little run down in places.
- In a nutshell:Calais - just 35 minutes from England.
Have been recommended to us we just had to try this amazing restaurant out on our latest day trip to Calais. In the... more travel advice
The theatre in Calais was built in 1903 on a former cemetery. It has a beautiful facade and is situated at the top of... more travel advice
nhcram's Related Pages
Calais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Citizens of Calais"
- "CALAIS - MORE THAN I EXPECTED!"
- "Calais - A lovely way to spend the day."
- "Calais - gateway to Europe"
- "Calais for a day"
- "A bit more than a Ferry Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calais
- Hotels in Calais
- Transportation in Calais
- Restaurants in Calais
- Shopping in Calais
- Warnings and Dangers in Calais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calais
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Calais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calais
Photos in CalaisSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
Latest Calais hotel reviews
- Ibis Hotel Calais Car Ferry
- 161 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Hotel Residence du Golf
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Ibis Calais Centre
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 23, 2013
- Bonsai Escale Calais
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Balladins Calais Confort
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- La Sole Meuniere Hotel and Restaurant
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Hotel Meurice
- 213 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Cottage Hotel
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013