"Calais - A lovely way to spend the day." Top 5 Page for this destination Calais by nhcram

Calais Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 238 photos

In the past ten years the region of Nord Pas de Calais has been transformed by the completion of the Channel Tunnel thus making it easier and quicker to cross the channel to the UK’s closest neighbour. The English coast separates the town of Calais by only 23 and a half miles of water!
Calais boasts that it is the world’s second leading passenger port. It is the ideal place to spend a day or even a short break. The town is an interesting mix of both old and new. It also has some of the North coasts loveliest beaches.
Calais has a large number of shops selling everything you could ever need. They include food and grocery shops, fashion outlets and also souvenir and gift shops.
The town has a magnificent town hall, which is neo-Flemish in style. It has a belfry of 75 meters high.
Calais has easy access to other parts of France using the French railway system. Outside the railway station you can also take the bus to Cite Europe, a large indoor shopping area, which is very popular with locals and tourists alike.

• Pros:Great restaurants.
  • Cons:A little run down in places.
  • In a nutshell:Calais - just 35 minutes from England.
  • Last visit to Calais: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2004

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Nice page! I would love the ferry ride to Calais! Lovely restaurants and hopefully many historical sites as well. Once crossed by ferry from Dover to Boulougne. People did a lot of shopping in France.

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I would think that dover would be extreemly interesting to visit. Barry in Lafayette, Louisiana

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Lovely little page here, but honestly speaking I never in my life would give you my credit card for your shopping adventures in France. *winkygrin*

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 6:06 AM

I am enjoying my new purchase!! we must do this girly day out again :-) I'm starting my pages too

• Sep 7, 2006 at 7:15 AM

The ferry is often the cheap and easy way to get to Calais. P&O & Seafrance both operate a non smoking policy inside their ships. I've found www.ferrycheap.com a really handy site to book my booze cruises and short breaks to Calais.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2006 at 1:34 PM

Allez Allez Calais! Was the first town I arrived on my first trip to the continent. I was hitchiking and got a free ride across the channel with a lorry. I only had 20 quid but somehow survived a month before I returned back to the Island. Tim

• Nov 27, 2005 at 2:02 PM

Your ferry crossing looks a lot more sunny and pleasant than the one we did a couple of weekends ago Natalie! Must remember to go in the summer next time!

• LizD's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 12:25 PM

I envy you being so close to the Port. It must be great being able to visit France so often.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2004 at 2:10 PM

Great start ! I keep meaning to go for the day....but I never get around to it!!! How did you get that pic in the tunnel? They say any flash photography and the carriage fills with foam!!?! Are they telling porkies?!!

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 2:30 AM

I bought 3 bottles of Single Malt Whisky at the Carrefour in Cite Europe. Prices were even chaper than in Germany!

nhcram

“See the world and its' people from all angles”

Badges & Stats in Calais