"A place forever in my heart...." Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine by nhcram
Aquitaine Travel Guide: 2,050 reviews and 6,848 photos
Having visited the Dordogne region of France a few years ago we were lured back by the wonderful scenery, the peace and tranquility in the little villages, the superb standard of local produce found in the markets and also the huge range of good wine.
We stayed in a typical French house owned by a dear friend and this suited our needs perfectly.
The region boasts many attractions like Lascaux which is famous for the caves at Montignac. Perigeux which offers 2 thousand years of history and is the capital of the Perigord region. The stunning scenery along the riverbanks of the Dordogne to name but a few reasons to return again and again.
The sunsets we witnessed just had to be photographed and this one in St Capraise de La Linde was no exception.
The chateau des Milandes which is the former home of Josephine Baker is an absolute must. Limeuill where the rivers of the Dordogne and the Vezere meet is a relaxing place to while away a few hours with a drink and a book. Monpazier. Monbazaillac etc, etc
The local markets are held in most villages and they offer most things you would need. Saucisson, wine that you can sample before buying, fresh fish, wonderfully fresh vegetables, plants, meat etc etc....
The market attracts people from the neighbouring villages aswell as tourists that are catering for themselves or who simply want to browse.
- Pros:Stunning scenery, wonderful food, good wine.
- Cons:Far too many Tourists.
- In a nutshell:A wonderful place to relax and enjoy just being there...
A fitting tribute to Josephine Baker has recently been erected in the village just below the chateau where the dancer... more travel advice
Each afternoon there are bird of Prey displays. There are various species of birds from small to large circling in front... more travel advice
nhcram's Related Pages
Aquitaine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place forever in my heart...."
- "South Western France"
- "Pyrénées-Atlantique, the far southwest"
- "A Wide Variety of Vistas"
- "Aquitaine Region - France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aquitaine
- Hotels in Aquitaine
- Transportation in Aquitaine
- Nightlife in Aquitaine
- Restaurants in Aquitaine
- Shopping in Aquitaine
- Warnings and Dangers in Aquitaine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aquitaine
- 23 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Aquitaine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aquitaine
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos