"European City of Culture 2004" Top 5 Page for this destination Lille by nhcram

Lille Travel Guide: 388 reviews and 940 photos

Eventful time in Lille

My friend and I arrived in Lille late Friday morning and experienced 24 hours of laughter!! We forgot the European connector for the mini kettle, set the clock wrong and woke up too early, went round in circles every time we wanted to find somewhere and I fell off a step to the amusement of many tourists (AND my so - called friend!!!)
However we had a great time, walked miles, and decided it was time to take a map reading course!!!
As European city of culture there were a lot of arty things around. The photo shows one of them (What is it- I am not sure???)

Lille is a friendly city with 42 percent of the population being under the age of 25. It is a city you can get hopelessly lost in. The old town has many cobbled streets and some wonderful restaurants offering excellent cuisine. It is a genuinly welcoming place and in my opinion deserves the title of European Capital of Culture for 2004

• Pros:Compact and cultural
  • In a nutshell:A great way to spend 24 Hours
  • Last visit to Lille: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2004

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Nice tips from your whirlwind visit to Lille in 2004. I went to Lille last October for the first time and liked it very much.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Nice page! The architecture is lovely. It sounds like you had a great time with your friend!!!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I loved the Rose Window of the Cathedral = Lille seems a good place to wander and get lost in!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2007 at 2:02 PM

I hope we can fit in as much in 48 hours as you did in 24! Very helpful tips, I'm looking forward to visiting this weekend.

• bonio's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Lovely page, thanks for the tips, visiting this weekend!

• lamsterz's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 8:31 PM

TERRIFIC Lille page. I'm super-excited!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2006 at 1:40 PM

so much has changed to the city I visited on a school trip driving to Italy back in '73.I just remember the large factories, the motorway busy with lorries and some of the blocks of flats of Lille suburbs.Glad u paint a different picture.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 9:43 AM

no pics of you falling over ? the outside of Lille looks much nicer than the inside of the Eurostar station, lovely page sweetie X

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 9:31 PM

Lille is a great city to visit with so much to see ! Very good page !

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 11:41 AM

My first exposure to Lille and you make me want to go. Thanks, Natalie. Hope all is well with you. Rex

nhcram

“See the world and its' people from all angles”

Badges & Stats in Lille